DjangoBooks.com

Mano Rena

BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
edited November 2006 in History Posts: 527
Hi,

I put this here from another thread because I think it is part of the history as well:

"Mano" is a tune that Django dedicated to Mano Rena when she was a young woman. She was born in 1919 in southern france, so she is 86 years old now, but as far as I know she is still singing, swinging and playing guitar in her own Jazz Club "La Guitarra" in Palafrugell (at the Costa Brava/Spain). She was the wife of the Jazz pianist and Singer Jimmy Rena since 1939. Together with her husband she organized the first Jazz Festivals in Nice after the war. In 2001 she made her debut CD with her "Mano Rena Trio". The CD is called "When you´re smiling" (Rose Valley Records). Her guitar playing is very harsh, unique, full of humour.

Best,
Barengero

P.S.: Here is a link:
http://www.rosevalley.de/infos/rvr004.htm

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi,
    just saw that Stoche made a review about this CD on the "Djangostation" site, including a short soundclip:

http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... rticle=615

Enjoy!

Best,
    Barengero
  • stochestoche ParisNew
    Hi Barengero,

Thanks for the link...

(PS: I'm back... after six month without internet connexion!)

Bye
    stoche
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi Stoche,

good to see you back here and on Djangostation again!!

If you are interested in more informations about Mano Rena, let me know. The producer of that CD, Wener Fritz Haver, lives not far from my place and he talked to me about the development of this production. He can probably tell more about this matter.

Best,
    Barengero
    Hello,
     I am very happy to meet somebody who knows Mano Rena
    I knew and I followed the life of Mano for a long time. 
    She died in December, 2010, I accompanied her towards the resting place (last home). She rests in Saint Céré's cemetery (Lot , France ) with Jimmy died in 1995.
    I possess lot of documents on her life and that of the Jimmy  (Records, photos, books, etc … )
     If you are interested,  I can send you some copies .
    cordially
    JC

Nb: internet translation .