DjangoBooks.com

A Total Long Shot (Song ID complete with humming rendition!)

SlofeSlofe New
edited August 2012 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 10
Hi everyone, I'm trying to locate a live recording I had a while ago on an old hard drive. Unfortunately it's gone now and I want it back because it's really was fantastic. However I cannot remember for the life of me who it's by! All I know is that it is a live recording done in the last decade and near the beginning of the show they play this part of the Russian Medley (Skip to 1:28). They also play a fantastic song either before or after it and I believe it may be self written by them (whoever they are!). I also know the group are well known because it was a professionally done recording for release. It may be Stochelo Rosenberg but I don't think so. I'd even recognise a photo of the person if I saw it!For some reason I'm picturing him with his guitar and wearing sunglasses.

Arrgh! Pretty tenuous I know but I was hoping someone might be able to point me in a direction. Even if they know of live performances with the Russian Medley in will help, that way I can sift through them. Hope you can help, thanks.

Edit: I think it might be Bireli Lagrene but again I'm not sure. Please if anyone knows of a live album done by a well known gypsy jazz guitarist that has that part of Russian Medley on it, please tell me! Thanks. To narrow it down further there's a violinist in the song. I will resort to humming it into my phone and uploading it if necessary!

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    the part of the russian medley is ochi chornye (dark eyes) and has been played by just about every gypsy jazz guitarist you could name. so i don't think we will really have enough information to narrow it down at all.

but here's an unrelated tip, you can make a link to a certain part of a youtube video by appending #t=XmYs on the url, to skip to X minutes and Y seconds. so for example rather than saying skip to 1:28 you can give the link like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei4CoOGYwC0#t=1m28s
  • cool tip. thanks wim

btw I agree with your thoughts on tracking down the tune
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • SlofeSlofe New
    Yeah I know it's played loads but knowing it's played right at the beginning of a live cd might be helpful! Arrgh I'm so frustrated that I lost the song because it's great and I've never heard it played anywhere else.
  • mobreaumobreau U.K✭✭✭
    Well to narrow it down slightly..I would say it is second generation don't you think? I am no aficionado on players of that era..Bousquet?, Jaques Montagne? maybe I am way off. I am sure Teddy G, Scott Wise or Teddy would be nearer to an answer.. :)
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    The first tune in the medley is a soviet-Russian patriotic song composed in the 1930s called "Polyushko Polye". In English that's "My Fields", or "Meadowlands" as it was called by US reds like Pete Seeger in the 50s; in France it is known as "Plaine de ma Plaine". It's also known as "The Cossack Patrol" and other names. There are scores of recordings of this tune but the only gypsy jazz version I know of was by Le Quatour des Plectres from 1962 and it's not part of a medley. Coco Briaval recorded the Communist anthem "L'Internationale" several times, maybe he recorded this semi-propaganda piece too. Red or not, it's a beautiful melody. I swear, I think I even remember it on a Stephen Stills record from the 60s.

Anyway, that's what I know, maybe that'll help you track it down - good luck.
  • SlofeSlofe New
    I have decided to record me humming it. Not a bad effort even if I do say so myself. The bit I've recorded is the main bit of the song. It's been years since I listened to it but it's still very fresh in my head, it's really catchy.

You can listen to it here. It's only a small file, thanks!
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    That tune is called Tchavolo Swing.
  • SlofeSlofe New
    Ahahaha Ya Beauty! I would kiss ya Scot I really would haha. Thanks a million.
  • SlofeSlofe New
    Now does anyone happen to know the recording I'm talking about now we have a name? Like I said it has that part of the Medley in it and Tcahavolo swing is played at the beginning. Together we'll get there! :D
  • SlofeSlofe New
    Found it! The version I was after was from Hot Club of Sanfrancisco's live album, Claire De Lune. Thanks for all your help people.