DjangoBooks.com

What are some of Django's most repeated phrases?

2»

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    "No Josef, you can't play the lead but you can carry my guitar case if you want" :)
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    Yea, I love that version Bones. I'm working to transcribe some of the phrases he uses across the Em7 - A7.

I love this one:

[code]
    ---14/15---12-----------------------------------
    ------------------15--12-------------------------
    ----------------------------12--------------------
    ---------------------------------14--13--12------
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------
    [/code]

It's so simple, yet the way Django executes it just makes it really sing. Harmonically it makes sense — it looks both like Em7 and A9.
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah that's a really common and useful 'shape' over a IIm7 or V7 (in this case Em7). It pops up all the time in the transcriptions with all sorts of little variations.
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    A little off-topic, but how does a phrase like this differ from a bebop phrase over a ii-V? Just curious.

I feel like (and this may be because my ears are still developing) that it's hard for me to hear the little differences between bebop and swing. Sure, I can listen to Charlie Parker and the rhythm and tempo instantly make me recognize it as bebop, but what aspects of the phrasing over standard changes make it bebop?
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.