DjangoBooks.com

give it a PUSH!

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
edited September 2012 in Woodwinds Posts: 600
PUUUUUSH!!!

come on guys & gals, a couple more posts and we OVERTAKE
the "174" post-count on the BASS sub-forum!

here's a lil encouragement, I must transcribe this clarinet solo & then steal it, shamelessly.

-A-

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thief :lol::lol:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Who's the clarinet player? That is a nice solo, and it's kind of refreshing that they didn't feel the need (as so many modern players do) to rip through at breakneck speed. Django's 1937 recording is rather laid back as well.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Lol... you know I'm a reeds player at heart ;-)

Here's a push for any cat who knows the taste of bamboo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_saxophonists
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    I agree with you on the clarinet here. The clarinetist is Rostaing and the alto sax is Ekyan. In that theme and solo he has a quite different approach compared to the records done with Django, he really swings more than when playing with Django.
  • Can anyone tell me what year that was recorded.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    It should be on august 1958...

MINOR SWING (Véga 30 805) 3’40
    SWING 42 (Véga 30 805) 3’01
    PLACE DE BROUCKÈRE (Véga 30 805) 3’32

“NOTRE AMI DJANGO” : Hubert Rostaing (cl) ; André Ekyan (as) ; Stéphane Grappelli (vln) ; René Urtréger, Maurice Vander (p) ; Henri Crolla (g) ; Emmanuel Soudieux (b) ; Allan Levitt (dm) ; Géo Daly (vib).

Paris, ca. août/August 1958.
  • Thanks Spatzo. You are a true font of django wisdom
  • Now I would love to add an mp3 to this thread but :oops: I have no idea how.

Farewell Blues, Benny Carter and his all stars featuring Django circa 1936 -37

I have been on a Benny Carter kick lately, mostly his earier stuff. Somemore great licks to steal on that one.

See if you can find the lick in one of the sax solos that is very much the same as a Django lick in Blues Clair

In Delauney's book he comments about Benny being the only one who could kep up with Django at one of the hot late night jams they had
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Now I would love to add an mp3 to this thread but :oops: I have no idea how.
    After you click on Post Reply, look down below the box you type into. You'll see two tabs, Options and Upload Attachment. Select the latter, and you can upload your MP3 from there.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles