DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara Walking Home

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Just completed second listening... damn... I like it.

OK, I've procrastinated enough with that Plek post... back to sanding

Nice album... Nightmare #1 is great. It's like all the sides of Gonzalo's playing and writing whirled into a string-quartet-downhome-blues-piano-etude-swing-nouveaugypsy nervous breakdown with a very cool slow groove ;-) Someday when they re-make Donnie Darko, it will be the new theme song. He's a great writer.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Definitely an interesting disc and quite enjoyable to listen to. This disc tends to lean heavier towards neat writing, as opposed to slick playing, but the slick playing is still there.

Personally, I enjoy the Invierno Trilogy and the Bad Wolf song the most. There is some pretty incredible playing in the song, but it sounds great, as it is incorporated ensemble style.

Really nice recording and I enjoy not only GB's playing style, but the new standards he's been writing. Go get it.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Bob,

I once mentioned to Gonzalo that I thought he should do a movie soundtrack sometime!

Can't wait to check this new disc out.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    It's good but it ain't gj. Classical meets Argentinian..... the odd Django riff thrown in.
    I recommend it.
  • Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
    redblues wrote:
    It's good but it ain't gj. Classical meets Argentinian..... the odd Django riff thrown in.
    I recommend it.

It might not be gypsy jazz in a classic sense but it sure swangs to a gypsy beat.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    The Gypsy tunes are definitely Gypsy, but the other tunes really remind me of Michael Nyman (the piano) or Yann Tiersen (Amelie)...
    - JG
  • gonegone New
    Walking Home Tour Dates

October 2012

Wed 10 Red Bluff, CA
    Thur 11 talent, OR
    Fri 12 Bandon, OR
    Sat 13 Florence, OR
    Sun 14 Willits, CA
    Mon 15 Arcata, CA
    Tue 16 Off
    Wed 17 Eugene, OR