DjangoBooks.com

Clarinet Albert System

BazzerBazzer New
edited October 2012 in Woodwinds Posts: 4
I have read discussions about plying gypsy jazz on th e clarinet, I was a member of a group some years ago, where I live(Lancaster. UK)a gypsy jazz jam session has started, I went to the first one to have a blow, I took two Albert System clarinets along a 'Bb' and. 'C', many Django tunes are played in guitar keys, this can make it difficult for clarinet players as the instrument ithe Bb I a tone different, not so bad for just improvisation but unless you have a good technique not so good for playing tunes on, I am fortunate enough to have a fine Albert System clarinet in 'C', this makes life a lot easier, I also play Boehm system clarinet, the C Boehm sounds squeaky in comparison with my old French Albert, am I cheating? no, Danse Norwegieen is a lot easier to play, does anybody else play C clarinet in gypsy jaz groups?

Barrie

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    hi Barrie, welcome to the forum.

I can certainly see the advantage of a C-pitched instrument, especially when sight-reading unfamiliar tunes from the Django Fakebook , I've never tried a C-clarinet, I'd pick up a C-melody soprano sax, maybe, if i came across one- There's a vid or two of me paying C-melody tenor sax on youtube somewhere.....

much of the Django repertoire seems to be in D,E,G and A major, the 'sharp' key-signatures, so I "swung the other way" and just bought an A-clarinet, which puts many of those tunes in jazz-improv-friendly keys ( F,G, Bb, and C ), especially nice for guys like me who are used to playing jazz sax in those keys.

I've only played Boehm clarinet for two years, so I'm in no hurry to confuse myself on an Albert system, though if I see a nice wooden one at the right price, I might buy it & try it. Anyway, welcome aboard, there are some gypsy heads re-written in Bb for you in a nearby thread.
    Andy
  • BazzerBazzer New
    I never thought of using an 'A' clarinet, I have a matching A to my Albert Bb clarinet, I must dig it out and give it a try, I have Albert System clarinets in Bb - C - Eb and A, my Boehm's are all Bb, I sold my Boehm C because it just sounded all wrong against my Albert.

Going from Boehm System is OK if you are dedicated, I started on Albert System then I played Boehm for years so I am comfortable with both systems, I have never learned to read music so all my stuff is played by ear, learning a tune by ear and remembering it is better in some ways mainly you can phrase better, if you read the melody try to remember it and do not read it, much better.

Bazzer The Jazzer
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    is Albert like a "simplified" version of Boehm ?? same fingerings, but not so many of them??