DjangoBooks.com

Django exhibit in Paris

scotscot Virtuoso
edited November 2012 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 653
I recently visited the current exhibit "Django Reinhardt - Swing de Paris" at the Cite de la Musique in Paris, and all I can say is "WOW"! There is an incredible amount of new things to see. Many of the original manuscripts of music dictated by DR to Gerard Leveque, including the symphony and mass, are on display. Original charts written out by Lonnie Wilfong for Django's session with the Army ATC band are there. Many photographs I've never seen before. The Selmer and Gomez-Ramirez guitars, of course, as well as the Busato and even the Levin owned by Fred Guy (the fascinating story of this guitar is here: http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1937-1939 ... xxxxxx.pdf), which still looks great. The original of the oft-duplicated letter from Django to Stephane from the US is even on display. The presentation is spectacular, too. We went on a Sunday afternoon, and there were movies being shown and concerts on all three floors of the museum including Ninine Garcia. We arrived early and there was a good crowd, then later as we were leaving, there was a long line of people waiting to get in. The exhibit has received a lot of publicity all over Paris, we saw posters for it all over town.

The entire collection of musical instruments at the museum was also worth seeing. I was kind of surprised to see only one or two accordions, though - you'd think there would be a large display of these. Tickets are also very reasonable at only 7E. If you are in Paris between now and January, don't miss this.

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    OK, I've now booked my flights and will be in Paris from Jan 2 to 16th, staying at a bed and breakfast in Montmartre which was recommended by a Toronto friend who stays there regularly. It costs 65 euros a night, which is apparently pretty good for Paris.

(BTW, am I the only one here old enough to remember a book called "Europe on Five Dollars a Day"...?!!! :lol: )

My vacation plan involves visiting the Django exhibition toutesuite and then spending the rest of my time there hanging out with guitar players, sampling French cuisine, drinking wine, and smoking smelly French cigarettes...

I'd be happy to meet any kindred spirits who may be over there at that time, please leave a message for me at the User Control Panel or e-mail me at

<[email protected]>

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."