DjangoBooks.com

Django's first electric experience

2»

Comments

• François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi everyone,
    According to an add published in the end of 1938, some electric guitars were for sale at Sternberg in Paris. However I found no documents during the war period. After the war Joseph reinhardt started to experiment with electric guitar before Django.

I enclose some photos (from the Musical instrument Museum of Montluçon) of some electric guitars made in France (end of 50's-early 60's) and also some adds for the Selmer and Fidelis systems.

Best

François RAVEZ
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Steveareno wrote:
    I wonder if he liked the fat ballsy tone of the Stimer and other early electrics, like the Gibson and Epi he played, or if he would have preferred a more natural tone like Schertlers, BigTones, clip-on mics and other modern pickups deliver thru his Selmer? He did say her preferred the Selmer on his return to France, but seemed to use the Stimer a lot (looked like an endorsement deal). I guess that's an issue most contemporary players wrestle with all the time (so many options in the modern world). I like 'em both but lean towards the natural tone...seems more romantic and fitting for "the style". I think he dug the former and really got off on the power the early electrics gave him to be able to cut thru the horn players and backing musicians after years of battling being drowned out, but over time would have swung back to a more acoustic (but louder) set up. The later Rome sessions sound good. Only a few years later and he could have played a Fender Broadcaster.
    Swang on,

Just noticed this. I think it's a great question. Just got a Stimer S51 through Ted Gottsegen's kind offer, and beginning the search for its mate, an amp. My luthier/friend loves the Fender re-issues (Princeton Reverb in particular), but I'm not yet convinced a solid state acoustic won't be the call...and it goes to this issue, pointed up by Steveareno.

I can take this up in another thread, don't want to hijack.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Its a generality but tubes tend to be warmer ....solid state edgier
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi everybody,

I recently found an add in an old Professional review called 'Musette' (n°5 oct-dec 1936).

It prooves that electric guitars (US made National Dobro) were introduced in France in 1936. Gino Bordin tried to promote this new instrument.

Unfortunately it remained for some times a simple music-hall curiosity.

Best

François RAVEZ