jam session etiquette

13»

Comments

just opened a bottle of Springbank's jewels of scotlant 1965 -goood stuff

worth every cent
    =={=}
    George
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I was getting pretty annoyed with this thread until the first time George chimed in. This discussion is indicative of a greater problem in life - your average asshole doesn't even know they are an asshole because nobody ever has the courtesy to tell them.

Seriously, I see a lot of sit-there-and-stew-about-it in this world, which does nobody any good. A person who is inconsiderate at a jam session will soon find himself unwelcome there. It follows that the considerate thing to do for this person (and the jam) is tactfully point out how they could modify their behavior. If you are stewing about it, then you won't likely find a way to do this. But if you can do it in good humor, then you are doing this guy a really big favor - he learns something, nobody has to stew anymore, and he is welcome.

Until you've tried, it's unfair to direct your anger at such a knucklehead. After you've tried and he hasn't learned, unleash hell.
  • ChadChad Bellingham, WashingtonNew
    People who are doing that have no idea of what is going on. I have an idea.
    :idea: Rather than sit and stew, show some evolution and communicate. If I am screwing up in a Djam and nobody points it out to me, whose fault is that? Being pissed off at me for being ignorant and not speaking your truth is more ignorant than just kindly speaking your truth. I have a violin player buddy and rather than do backup rythym things violin players do would sit there and noodle over the top of my soloing. I got to the point of being hacked off and told my SO and she said "just ask him not to do that and make a suggestion as to what he might do that would better support you in your quest to play leads. :shock: "Hell", I thought, " That is too easy." and it was. It was a little awkward, but by golly we are still playing together.
    Peace
    Chad
    Wholly Man
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    I'll tell you an experience I had with telling someone his rhythm playing was really way off (in a diplomatic way of course), he got defensive and replied: "ya well , your solos weren't too hot either" ... obviously he didn't seem to realize that when the rhythm player is shifting the tempo and adding beats , the soloist can't really do much :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ii doubt bireli or angelo could do better with such a backing track.... actually they probably could; they'd just get up and leave....

i have a story about titi demeter and angelo.... they were jamming one time at this big gypsy party or something like that...titi was always cutting in so angelo got fed up... he got up, put his guitar away, clapped his hands, said "bravo" and left.
  • ChadChad Bellingham, WashingtonNew
    As a whole, musicians are pretty sensitive types and generally take any criticism and amp it up about 400%. If we remain open and calm, it aint so bad.
    Wholly Man
  • KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    OK, I have some questions about jam session etiquette. I don't often jam in big groups with more than one or maybe two really good players. Usually I'm just trying to keep up rhythm wise when I get in a big group, and don't try rhythm flourishes/fills unless I'm feeling very comfortable.

What kind of etiquette is there about rhythm players in big groups? I hear Django doing flourishes fairly often under other people's solos, but these are musicians he has played with for years and, well, he's Django. Is there usually a "designated driver" for rhythm flourishes or is it more come as you are, just don't stink up the joint (or solo)?

Kevin
  • PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
    I too am new to gypsy jazz, but have been to many bluegrass jams, and have watched this being delt with. I think that part of the problem is that newbees seldom understand the neuances (or 'rules' if you will) of jamming, or don't realize that there are any in the first place. Further, many don't recongize the signals (often suttle) given for taking or passing on solos.

What we used to do in bluegrass jams was ask ahead of time if there were any new players (you often don't know in bigger groups), and if there were, we'd gather them aside and explain what was and what was not expected of them, and allow them to ask questions. Indeed, in many folk and bluegrass society jams, printed flyers of 'Jam Rules' are handed out at the door. This may seem like a drastic measure, but most new players do want to get it right, and will usually try to be courtious.

Now, the player who busts a jam because of ego, well......
    Violin's swing the best!
    The bigger the jam, the more important the "less is more" philosophy is for the rhythm players, IMO.

Flourishes like rasqueado rolls, turnarounds etc are cool as long as they are jiving 100% with whomever is soloing - so if you keep your eyes & ears on the soloist, you'll know when it's appropriate.

Also, the overall sound is generally gonna sound like mud if more than one rhythm player is playing flourishes. No es bueno. If you aren't positive that a flourish is appropriate, it probably isn't.

That's not to say you should play timidly, because that can drag down the groove, you just have to be conscious of not tripping up the soloist by being too "busy".

For rhythm players, I think the name of the game is entrainment, you want to feel in love with simply keeping the beat, and with building a powerful but not overwhelming textured groove for the soloist to dance with.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭

Also, the overall sound is generally gonna sound like mud if more than one rhythm player is playing flourishes.

Agreed. Two is too many, and it sounds especially bad if you're the only two rhythm players in the jam. In general, if I'm playing with someone better than me, I'll just keep the beat and let him add over it. On the rare occasions where I'm the better player, I'll take over the other half. Of course, all that stuff is part of what make rhythm playing so much fun, so it's sometimes hard to hold yourself back, but no one wants to be remembered as the guy that kept lousing things up...

Best,
    Jack.