DjangoBooks.com

Turning Recordings into Rhythm Tracks?

edited January 2013 in Recording Posts: 29
Does anyone know of a good method to turn old recordings into rhythm tracks? I've heard of people unplugging one speaker or something like that but I listen to my stuff primarily through a computer, not a record player so I don't know if that method would work for me. What I'm trying to do is play one of Django's solos over a track that has a piano for accompaniment and I haven't found any good play along for this particular song and it doesn't sound good when I record the chords on my guitar and play over it either. So does anyone know of a software that can take out Django's parts so I can record my own playing and compare how the recording sounds next to his? Thanks.

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hi fellas. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to remove an instrument (or a singer) from a mono recording and to my knowledge all Django recordings were mono. These vocal removers only work with stereo recordings and often only so-so at that. If I'm wrong, I'd sure like to know. If anyone has ever removed a Django solo from the rest of the band on a HQF recording, I'd sure like to hear it and know how they did it! AE
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    I don't know how they have done but I guess it is possible as it was done for example in 1968 by The guitars Unlimited keeping on the contrary only Django's track from the traditionnal tape recorded in 1953 and re-recording upon it the modern arrangements of a group of 5 guitars : Francis LE MAGUER, Pierre CULLAZ, Raymond GIMENES, Paul PIGUILLEM, Tony RALLO.

The result is, on my opinion, excellent : http://www.deezer.com/fr/album/107172

Another possibility is using the excellent software Melodyne Editor from Celemony with the amazing DNA function (Direct Note Access):

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_editor

with this software you can modify very easily all the notes of a recording changing for example Django's solo, etc...
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Here's an example of a bad manipulation of Django's solo on Nuages
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    And here's a quick elimination of most of the notes Django plays while exposing the melody, of course it can be done better but you absolutely need to know the software and have some training and some time...
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    spatzo wrote:
    Here's an example of a bad manipulation of Django's solo on Nuages

This is absolutely hilarious!
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    yes in fact it is... I will sounslice the whole! (great program :wink: )
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    spatzo wrote:
    Another possibility is using the excellent software Melodyne Editor from Celemony with the amazing DNA function (Direct Note Access):

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_editor

with this software you can modify very easily all the notes of a recording changing for example Django's solo, etc...

Interesting stuff Spatzo. Do you think this is how they recorded "Major Swing" as discussed in another current thread (A Rare FInd)?

Here's the link: http://vimeo.com/49241080

AE
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    I think I like what I've done to the recordings better!
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Yes Eddy it believe it has been done with this software. It is well done with an automatic function. The soft is a great one and works very well with the DNA (Direct Note Accès) that enables for example to tune the guitar AFTER the recording has been done :lol:

I think it is easier to keep the lead and eliminate the background rather than doing the contrary.