DjangoBooks.com

Benefit of consecutive downstrokes...

edited February 2013 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 29
I just read a post that's somewhat similar to what I am going to ask (Rosenberg picking technique). I also am learning from Rosenberg Academy. I'm working on Hungaria right now and I'm at a passage where he plays 2 downstrokes per string up a diminished arpeggio and I'm trying to find out the purpose of it. It seems kind of ridiculous at that speed. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    the downstroke is always going to project better than the upstroke. if you can fit more downstrokes, then go for it. at least that's the impression i've learned from other players.
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Coming from a background of heavy metal and bluegrass I must admit I find it tough to remember to do those double down strokes (except the sweeps which are very economical). I find myself wanting to alternate pick it! Clement Reboul did a nice youtube tutorial on some of these gypsy picking patterns.
  • jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    Simply put, the idea of using downstrokes on an acoustic guitar, is that you can hammer down on that stroke, to produce the hammered dulcimer type tone that an upstroke just can't do.

Gypsy Jazz picking technique is based on the downstrokes in conjunction with the rest stroke attack as you hit the string with your pick.