DjangoBooks.com

A Sneak Peak into Nous'che's Rhythm Course

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I'm working through the course as well, chose the advanced option and eagerly anticipating the next batch of lessons next month.

This is an outstanding resource. It's not based on a plethora of tunes, but rather, zeroing in on Nous'che's unbelievable style. Multiple camera angles, sound is clear as a bell, as is the visual. Tabs are provided, including some of Christiaan's commentary, which is very spot-on and helpful. I'd personally encourage people to just watch and listen and get it that way, only going to the tabs if needs be (and yes, do read the notes by Christiaan - reminds me in a way of Gonzalo's books, excellent commentary in a useable, practical way). The one thing that's very clear to me is how little Nous'che monkeys about with geniuz-jazz-theorist subs and massive extensions. Very commonsense chords. It's the man's right hand. His unbelievable perfection of the "leger et sec," light and dry style of rhythm playing. And his bossa, latin rhythms in general - sheer perfection, in my opinion.

I practice daily these days, only working these lessons. Plenty in there to occupy someone for, ahem, years - if you could stand working on perfecting tone and timekeeping for years. Another story.

Another great contribution to learning this beautiful art of accompaniment. Between Denis Chang's material, Michael's book, and Hemert's work, we who came to this over the last few years are capably engorged on an embarrassment of riches. Well done, Hemert, and thank you.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • This is a great summary, Paul.

I'm looking forward to the general public release of this.
    Thanks Jim. I love it. Really interested in your take, once you get it.
    -Paul

• HemertHemert Prodigy
    Thanks for the kind words Paul. I guarantee you will be thrilled with the next batch of 10 fully transcribed videos which I will be sending to you in a couple of days. Some really, really great playing by Nous'che in those videos. "Mélodie au Crépuscule" is already beautiful with just Nous'che playing rhythm, a surprising choice of chord voicings in "Les Yeux Noirs" and unbelievable drive in "Limehouse Blues" just to mention a few of the highlights!
    Hemert wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words Paul. I guarantee you will be thrilled with the next batch of 10 fully transcribed videos which I will be sending to you in a couple of days. Some really, really great playing by Nous'che in those videos. "Mélodie au Crépuscule" is already beautiful with just Nous'che playing rhythm, a surprising choice of chord voicings in "Les Yeux Noirs" and unbelievable drive in "Limehouse Blues" just to mention a few of the highlights!

Wow, I thought it was next month for some reason. Thanks, Christiaan! Can't wait!
    -Paul

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Just checking in to see how all the Lucky Indigo backers are doing with your Nous'che's Rhythm Course.

Paul your sure had great things to say. Thanks

Any other comments, or reviews?

Hey Hemert,

Your post this morning, in the definitive Guide to Gypsy Jazz Rhythm about Nous'che's Rhythm made me want to check in.

"Drooling in anticipation" :wink:

Any updates on release to the public yet?

I'm Loving the Academy but think for me I'm really in need of better Rhythm first.

Thanks
    pickitjohn

Money ready and waiting :roll:
  • BonesBones Moderator
    It's a bargain IMHO!
    Bones wrote:
    It's a bargain IMHO!

Completely agree. More than happy with my $50 purchase. I've begun working the "advanced" concepts, but every day, there's plenty there from the "basics" that keeps me practicing the simplest, most fundamental things. Nous'che's playing makes exquisite, diamond-clear sense, and flatly, I've learned a ton. Highly recommended.

Just some thoughts, from a guy who's slogged his way through first beginnings, to, well, beginnings :D :

I think this course, Denis's DVD on Accompaniment, and his DC School online, with Hono, Yourgui and Gonzalo, are incredible resources, well worth the investment.

Denis has also pointed up some great youtube clips of players, some very clear rhythm examples. I've benefited from these as well (one of them, Martin Limberger playing All of Me with Remi Harris) is a daily resource. And these clips are free, of course. One caution, though, and I think Denis lays it out really well - but there are lots of goodhearted people providing "lessons" in youtube, that may not be the best models for a particular skill. Easier to learn something "good" that is new, than to unlearn something "bad."

Finally, again just a humble suggestion, but I wouldn't do all of these resources at the same time. This has definitely been the thorn in this student's side - a desire to somehow amp the learning by tapping every possible resource; a desire to get what someone aptly named the "magic pill" of learning this style of music; a "Django in a Can" that simply doesn't exist. In a word, with so many resources out there now that weren't before, it's easy to pick up bits from everything, and the marrow, the true learning, is left behind. Just a recommendation from a pretty humble player to folks new to the style - pick one, hopefully paradigmatic and authoritative resource, work the hell out of it, then move on.
    -Paul

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Is this course available to new people?
    Is this course available to new people?

Christiaan can answer this, obviously, but my recollection is yes, Richter. I think there's a kind of "second pass" for the people who didn't get in originally but want to take the course. It's more expensive, but not that bad - again, only my recollection. I do recommend the experience highly. I'm extremely pleased.
    -Paul