DjangoBooks.com

Which Integrale Saison??

kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
edited February 2013 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 178
Say you could only afford to buy only one of the Integrale Saison box sets which would be the best one to get.

My guess is #2, since this seems to me to be the 'prime time' of this career? Is it correct to say that. These are the songs that made him the legend?

I would like to get 1 & 3 at some point. For now, my Django discography is very lacking since my only discs are the JSP, 5 CD set.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Pretty well all three contain must have essential tracks. However, vol 1 has a lot of the very early Musette stuff which is historically interesting but not the most engaging. Probably best to start with volumes 2 or 3.

M
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Pretty well all three contain must have essential tracks. However, vol 1 has a lot of the very early Musette stuff which is historically interesting but not the most engaging. Probably best to start with volumes 2 or 3.

M

Thank Micheal.

Until now I have never heard of the term 'Musette'.

I was able to find this:
    ... musette, or "bal musette" was not swing jazz like django. it was not improvisational or was minimally improvisational at best. musette music was played in traditional dance forms such as tango, fox trot, paso doble, waltz, etc. this music arose in ghettos of italian laborers who were in paris to get work...

You're right. The later recordings is what I'm looking for. I keep hearing references to tunes that aren't included on my 'Classic Chronological' box set.

thanks