DjangoBooks.com

Should I articulate between the bridge and sound hole?

kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
edited February 2013 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 178
Is the proper place to articulate the string between the bridge and the sound hole?

On page 13, point two of hand position says to "let your hand hang down over the strings about halfway between the bridge and the sound hole".

The reason that I ask this question is that I have just started work on my right hand and I find that I could not maintain the 45-degree angle unless I plucked at that position. I was always told to play over the sound hole so I am making an adjustment.

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I play just behind the soundhole. That seems to be a sweet spot, for me, on this guitar. Denis Chang also suggested this to me once, in a webcam lesson. I don't enjoy playing too close to the bridge, a "plinky" tone and weird tension, for my hand. I try to achieve dryness by my attack, and the coordination of my left and right hand, and I guess I prefer some of the darker color from being closer to the sound hole.

If you do want to play by the bridge, you're in good company. Isn't it David Reinhardt, for one, who advocates this?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    Like others have mentioned I think it's between finding a sweet spot for a particular guitar, achieving particular sound needed at the moment and finding a spot from which you start to develop your signature sound.
    I find if I'm resting my right forearm over the side of the guitar my hand falls in between the bridge and soundhole when my hand is angled and this is my default position.
    If I move my arm forward a little bit so that my forearm hangs a bit over the top of guitar then I can still maintain the hand angle and play over or closer to the soundhole, however this position isn't a habit for me so unknowingly I find myself going back to my default position.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • You might also want to check out the definition of articulation in music.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    You might also want to check out the definition of articulation in music.

I have been 'schooled'. I thot it had to do with how the note was played.... thanks Jay!
    In music, articulation refers to the musical performance technique that affects the transition or continuity on a single note, or between multiple notes or sounds.