DjangoBooks.com

Montagne Saint Genevieve - First Attempt

Dear All, This is my first post on Django Books. I just recently in the last two weeks started to seriously attempt to learn some Gypsy Jazz. I bought a CHEAP guitar just to have a go, and I started with an easy number, "Montagne Saint Genevieve". I have posted a Youtube video of my first attempt at this piece. I started to learn the melody 4 days ago. I know this is VERY Ropy but I'd appreciate any criticism and help to improve my playing. I hope it's not toooooo grating on your ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yByy0J8b ... e=youtu.be

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Nice work! Keep at it!

Yeah, MSG is an easy one :lol:

Which tab did you use?
  • That's not an easy number to pick correctly.
    I'd suggest playing it at a tempo where you can play the whole thing perfectly. I watched the video once and it appears if you are sweeping up. If you want to pick it correctly, you should use a down stroke everytime you change a string. I think that E7 phrase is an open string run, too.
    Here's one version that clearly shows the picking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokJ5yYTVHk
    If you are happy playing it the way you are, then disregard my comments. But these waltzes are great exercises to teach phrasing and the gypsy picking style.
    My 2 cents.
  • Watch this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQgzch5d68s

Still, after two weeks, that's pretty good.
    Thanks for your comments guys. Indeed this business about down picking on descending arpeggios is currently just impossible for me. I don't have the speed. I was gonna try to at the very least alternate pick them rather than sweeping. What do you think about that as an option?

The Tab was something I found on the internet, but it's clearly different than the versions posted here. I think there are parts of the version I have that I like and parts of the other that I prefer, I might try to mix the two together to come up with my preferred version.

I'll try to make a recording of it at a better tempo for me, something like 160 should be easier. I think the first attempt was at 190.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    It's all about how "authentic" you want to sound/be, but speed should never be your first priority. I Brazilian Jiu-jitsu there is a saying "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast". You should approach GJ the same way. When the tools are there, speed will come of it's own accord. Trust me, I wasted a lot of time trying to play fast when I should have just been playing properly. No one cares how fast you are if it is sloppy.

That said, have fun and keep it up! Keep working on that rhythm!
  • Agreed on that speed is not a priority. I've been spending a fair amount of time on this waltz and using it as an exercise to develop the picking often used in this style. I'm currently at ~130bpm with some difficulty on the B-part. You hit the nail on the head. It is much harder to execute at faster tempos. You can tell the difference between a player utilizing the "gypsy picking" and alternate and sweep picking.
    If you are interested in learning this picking style, I'd suggest not worry about speed and spending time on getting the notes and picking correct.
    So, I took your advice and I wanted to see if my picking on the B part is now correct. I have recorded only the B section at 100 so you can see my picking. Let me know if I've got it right this time. This is about as fast as I can play it with this picking at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7KqMuYBDyc
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Furry,

It says the video is private. Do you have some sort of a code to view it?

thanks
    sorry about that, it was set to private, it's public now...
  • I looked at pretty quickly, but that is generally correct.