DjangoBooks.com

Practice Schedule Help Request

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,471
    Phenomenal post Michael, and Jim thanks for the addendum. I had vowed not to post here for awhile, but you've drawn me out by the excellence of these thoughts. My days are really simple...it's about 2-3 hours of working rhythm, exclusively, usually, in the simplest harmonies, trying to capture the soul of Nous'che's playing. Latin and pompe, nothing new in repertoire, working 50ish or so I already know.

That was it, for the last several months. Now, in addition, my first foray into serious lead training are waltzes, which get an hour or so a day.

That's it, outside of listening to the music (I usually fall asleep with my walkman in my ears...).

I've shied away from ear training and transcribing, because of all the ironies, I think I've got a lousy ear. I embrace Denis and his approach, but fear this is my weakest link.

I don't know if this is a good path or not. I know so little, anymore. I know that the more broadly I reach, the less I feel I truly learn. Playing a simple set of 9ths up and down the fretboard, a million times over, has at least yielded the fruit of a rhythm tone I grow increasingly content to call my own.

But the practice regimen you lay out above looks stellar. It's always decisions, I suppose, among a plethora of valid pathways.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    A postscript, didn't want it buried at the end of my longish post - I was impressed with the "droning indian thing" Stephane used at concert over the weekend. Barbès-Brooklyn really hits home for me, the drone is used in the intro there, too....I recall it had a name, but have forgotten. Michael or Jim, do you happen to know the name, and where one can pick up the device?
    -Paul

• If memory is correct is a Tanpura.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    If memory is correct is a Tanpura.

Thanks Jay.
    -Paul

jkaz wrote:

Great! I was wondering if that was the one, thanks, Jim.
    -Paul

• mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    This is great- thank you guys for the suggested allotment of time in practice sessions. I wanted to put in place something of the sort before but wasn't confident about the times. I asked Stephane Wrembel this question at DIJ (how to practice most effectively without all day to work with) and the response, while very valuable, was more philosophical in nature and not nearly as structured as this practice regimen. I'll try it:) But one phrase that has followed me, in Stephane's accent of course, is that "There are no excuses." Work, kids, responsibilities- these all matter and we all have our circumstances to circumvent, but ultimately those who accomplish the most are not necessarily the most "gifted", but are those who won't take no for an answer, and will keep trying on the difficult things as Michael suggests.

Paul, Passacaglia- rhythm players are the crown jewel of the band. ( Hope to see you at camp again this year!) I applaud your internalizing these tunes in your focus on rhythm guitar before turning to lead, as so many masters have done. If you don't do it already, I agree it is beneficial to mix up voicings as to not disengage from fully processing the chord changes- a skill so essential for soloing coherently. I like Michael's point about working in new voicings slowly. If working in two at a time, consider one based E string root and another based on the A- this combination seems to streamline chord progressions moving in typical 4th and 5th root movements.

A tanpura option is also available on iOS devices for those who don't have the coin to drop on a hardware tanpura, though the dedicated device is more free from distractions (using one's phone for everything can lead to tangents, or maybe that's just me :D ). The Raagini is a great device but a little costly, and only marginally cheaper to buy in India. [But as a side note, the sitar from Sanjay Rikhi Ram was a great price and the difference helped me afford my studies there!] To my experience, the app called iTabla has a great-sounding tanpura, plus the bonus an elaborate tabla to work with as a possible metronome alternative. Who knows- cats might even start jamming in 7 more after meeting Tcha at camp this year. :wink:

Great stuff guys- thank you for sharing.
  • Is that the iTabla Pro at $24.99 with Tanpura?
  • mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    Yes, that's the one. Worth every penny in my opinion. The tanpura sounds great, rock solid app, a whole lot of rhythms, regular updates.... you'd think I was getting a cut of the profits or something!
  • I will give it a whirl