DjangoBooks.com

Django on TV - BBC Four 27th Jan

gypsyjazzergypsyjazzer Brewood, United KingdomNew
edited January 2006 in Europe Posts: 67
[b]Spread the word[/b] - there's a one hour TV documentary about Django Reinhardt on BBC Four this coming Friday, January 27th :-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]Djangomania![/b]
[i]A look at the mania surrounding the music of Django Reinhardt, the Belgian-born, two-fingered Gypsy jazz guitar legend, whose fans, 50 years after his death, continue to celebrate his talent.[/i] [S]
[b]BBC Four, Fri 27 Jan, 21:00-22:00 60mins Stereo Widescreen[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The listing in today's UK "Times Knowledge Magazine" says, "The mania that drives these fans forms part of the focus of what promises to be a 'frank, hilarious and revealing study' of the mysterious moustachioed Reinhardt, who was the most important jazz musician to be born in Europe, and who has been an influence on artists as varied as Julian Bream, Woody Allen and Black Sabbath."

If this a new film, and not just a repeat showing of the old, but excellent one featuring Ian Cruickshank, it should be pretty interesting.

Anyone know who's produced it?

Stuart

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Don't get your hopes up...there was a lot of discussion when this aired in Canada a few months back, and the concensus was that it was a total mess, and goes out of its way to make the gypsy jazz crowd look like a bunch of monomaniacal nutjobs.

Best,
    Jack.
  • gypsyjazzergypsyjazzer Brewood, United KingdomNew
    Hi Jack,

Yes, a similar view has been expressed in the UK (I originally put the post on the Django Swingpage Forum).

I thought I'd not heard anything about this film before, but now you've mentioned it being shown in Canada, I seem to recall reading some posts about it. The general view being it wasn't much good, which is a shame as it would be good to see a new programme about Django, and a review of the current gypsy jazz scene.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
    Stuart
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    portraying GJ fans as monomaniacal nutjobs IS a review of the current scene :twisted: