DjangoBooks.com

AE Video: Finding the Elusive Gyspy Swing Rhythm!

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    mikegnik wrote:
    Also interesting to me is just how different the same guitar's tone sounds at any movement of the recorder.

Speaking of the recording, I didn't mention this in the opening post, but the recording process was an experiment in itself. All the clips were recorded hand-held with my iphone nestled in a Fostex AR-4i audio interface (which comes with dual mics). I really hadn't used the unit before so therein lies the reasons for some of the clipping noise. I was going for the unvarnished truth in these recordings and I didn't want to use any more equipment than I could hold in one hand (leaving the other free to hold a Heinekin bottle). However, I could have resolved the shifting sound levels by keeping the mics at one place while I walked around recording. Ultimately though, I wanted to keep it simple and let the playing stand for itself. No doubt, as you can probably assess, the sound is probably truest during the initial full front shots.

While I edited the clips on the computer with iMovie, the experimental part was to see how much I could do via an iphone. Since then, I've added some video edition apps to the iphone so I'd be interested in the future to try a project that would do the whole enchilada (tape, edit, produce and load to YouTube) from just the iphone alone. AE
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Thanks, Eddy. You're awesome!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Very cool!... Thanks Eddy
    Blues Bop and Tele -- you're welcome. Tommy, dats a funny clip! AE
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Interesting how much of the pick gets buried. Alot of muting going on there with the side of the thumb and curled forefingers making contact with the strings. Gives it that "thwack" and really dries up the sound. Thanks for shooting this and posting.
    Swang on,
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    As I see it, this video proves that you can't get lazy with beats 2 and 4 to get the "hi-hat" chuck. And from the over-the-shoulder angle, one can clearly see how the right hand has to stay loose to include the upstroke on beats 1 and 3. That's the groove that makes the swing! Thanks for posting.
  • Greg in PrtGreg in Prt Portland, OR✭✭ Dupont MDC50
    Interesting stuff, both from a chordal -- each a little different -- and right hand technique. Some use more up stroke than others, or even change it up a bit within the song.

On a technical side, you might want to check out Audacity's capability of removing clicks and pops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl3zIBOCVck
    Greg

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." ~Author Unknown
  • SickstringSickstring Chicago✭✭✭
    Thanks to you and all the instructors, Eddy! This video is invaluable to me!

Scott
    Hi Scott. Glad you liked the vid. It's an interesting juxtaposition of thought to the lively comments in Denis' thread about "The Definitive Guide to Gypsy Jazz Rhythm". There's much to be learned in the various isms and schisms within this music. I used to say, "It's easy to learn to play Gypsy Jazz. You just learn EVERY possible way to play the guitar and there somewhere is the technique you need for Gypsy Jazz." AE