DjangoBooks.com

Other 'Electric Guitar' Pickups for Selmers

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    No love for the Peche a la Mouche? I'm ignorant on acoustics/tech. stuff (on a lot more :D ) - how do players feel about these mags?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Any idea of how much the Millers are?
  • martin bmartin b London✭✭ Epiphone Deluxe
    My Miller came in at about £235, what's that, about $350? That includes the small extra charges for the "balanced for Argentines" version (good) and also his new detachable mini-coax cable ( also good in my view).
  • shegashega Colorado✭✭✭
    has anyone tried the guzz pickup? I contacted him and he is working on the next release, which will have one control knob rather than two (no tone knob this time). he also said they will be thinner and less expensive.
    how much were they originally?

Also: the OP wanted information about permanently mounting a pickup by cutting into the top of the guitar. I inquired years ago about this, and many people suggested that I look into the handmade humbuckers and single coils made by Kent Armstrong. I think Michael sells them now.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I've tried Millers (not the newest one though), Krivo, lots of Dearmond "Gold Foil", and a Tiesco. pickup. None of them conquer the imbalance problem and I don't think anyone will, short of using a lot of new technology which simple wound coils aren't capable of. How can you shape or alter a magnetic field to "hear" one string less than its neighbor? It'll happen one day but not today.
    I don't use them for acoustic sound. I use K&K for that and a stereo cable to get both or either sound.

All these pickups sound good. But if I had to pick one to be my amplified sound, I'd use the Krivo. It gets more sweetness than the others. They all will distort (ala rock & roll) at some point.

The "K&K floating bridge" is a great acoustic sound though, so I use the coils when I want to sound like a coil. All coils sound like coils to me, with a different harmonic content than an acoustic guitar and an imbalance that I sometimes can ignore, but is always there.

If you need a great coil at the lowest price:
    The Gold Foil and Tiesco are about 5/16" thick, so they'll mount fine on most of these guitars. They go for $100 - 120 on ebay everyday. Tiescos are cheaper. They come from 8 to almost 12 ohms. Get the lowest ohm's you can (less than 10 anyway). It'll sound a lot like the "monkey on a stick" - "guitar mike" as it is the same coil structure.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    ......I have a three year old KRIVO adjustible poles humbucker w/volume(not necessary though) and it sounds great with my HOLO style Busato thru an L.R. Baggs D1. I do use a larger ball of putty on the bass side to balance the hotter treble strings but works well for both rhythm and lead. A pro reed player who did the sound for my duo said it was the best sounding "magnetic" pickup he's heard on an acoustic. He plays with many guest keyboard and guitar players. This PU does not sound good on my '04 Dell 'Arte Hommage as the "crunchy" tonal palette becomes too muddy!
    ......Rocky
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Our Man, Adrian Holovaty, uses a Peche a la Mouche pickup with matching amp, and IMHO, it does the electric Django sound really well. It's a really well-made unit, too, and works with either oval or d-holes. My personal choice, at least for the moment, is a Krivo single coil, which sounds way less electric to my ears. I wanted to try the humbucker, but Michael sold his last one before I could get my hands on it.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    I just checked out the website for Guzz and all I have to say is that the sound in amazing!
    shega wrote:
    has anyone tried the guzz pickup? I contacted him and he is working on the next release, which will have one control knob rather than two (no tone knob this time). he also said they will be thinner and less expensive.
    how much were they originally?

Also: the OP wanted information about permanently mounting a pickup by cutting into the top of the guitar. I inquired years ago about this, and many people suggested that I look into the handmade humbuckers and single coils made by Kent Armstrong. I think Michael sells them now.
    -Peter
  • I just got a Dupont with a low-profile covered P-90 mounted via adhesive to the top. It's an older pickup, so I don't know how easy it would be to find, but I've already been getting compliments on the electric tone. Had a couple gypsy guys say it compared well to a Stimer. Not the most usual thing to see on a Selmer though.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I've been using the Peche a la Mouche.
    Its been great.Though it is a bit bulky, it presents no problems in use. Its a bit clunky though.
    Have a single coil KRIVO, too noisy. For Me.
    The Peche wins so far.
    Also was using a stand mounted DPA this last week.
    That thing rocks.
    The Gold Foil's and Teisco's all will mount on most GJ guitars.
    The Rhythm Chiefs will also work.
    All the complaints about balance are a bit overblown re: the Peche. Its fine.
    Not perfect , but honestly. I put it on , play some tunes , get paid.
    I don't have anyone coming up to the set and griping about string balance. I can balance the strings with my right hand, its automatic. Something to be said for playing for over 50 years I guess ?
    If I get curious I would check the Miller. That looks like a solid piece of goods.
    You could cut a hit record with any of these things. They are all good enough. Its mostly personal preference.
    I have no doubt that Kent Armstrong's product will work as well. Equal time for that guy. Very upfront and will build one off's to spec. A real asset .