DjangoBooks.com

Maybe the best videos of Joscho on the net

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Welcome Posts: 421
And they include the best fiddler that no one knows about Kailin Yong. I'm a little biased but I think these are fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcfzGFSf ... detailpage

Video'd by Wildwood Guitars, super thankful for their help.

Comments

• kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    And they include the best fiddler that no one knows about Kailin Yong. I'm a little biased but I think these are fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcfzGFSf ... detailpage

Video'd by Wildwood Guitars, super thankful for their help.

That's pretty awesome that you played together. He's one of my favs, and Swing Je T'aime is pretty amazing. I like yer Kung Fu (and your excellent youtube music lessons ;)
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of being too self-promoting (is there such thing for a working musician) if you like the sounds I'm quite proud of our latest album. It is a unique offering strattling the many passions and aesthetics of our group. We do everything from Villa-Lobos (Bachianas Brasilieras), Astor Piazolla, Edith Piaf, Andrew Lloyd Weber, a bunch of originals and OF COURSE Django.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/postc ... d600089065
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Joscho is my favorite of all the modern players. His versions of Djangos tiger blow my mind.
    That was the first tune I ever heard him play and it just blew my mind. Did you see that track #1 on that playlist is Django's Tiger? We got more tunes coming, plus a nice interview Wildwood Guitars did with him. These videos are just about 1/3 of them.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Dang, those vids are great! That version of Djangos Tiger is amazing!

What kind of guitars are those?

Thanks for the link!!!

(PS- I just burned my guitars....JK)
    Joscho is playing a Dupont but I can't remember what kind. Definitely a nice one, Wildwood guitars, though they don't do Selmer/Macafferri guitars put a lot of emphasis on being the guitar shop that specializes in the high end beauties so they bought a great guitar for him. - I've just got my old Gitane, nothing special :) The engineers and the sound system are top notch at the Rialto so even my Gitane (I think it is a 255?) sounds good on rhythm. If you are ever coming through to play I highly recommend going there. I saw Jorgenson with Jason Anick there as well and hope Gonzalo will come soon. If anyone knows him they should goad him to come play here because I've been telling all my friends about how great and unique a composer he is.

Really I hope I'm introducing people to Kailin the fiddler though. He has become one of my favorite musicians and people. He is not a GJ player at all, but has such a unique, fluid compelling voice in all the music he plays. More than any other musician I have ever met, to hear Kailin play is to know who Kailin is, his instrument is just an extension of his personality. He would always say to me "someday I'm going to learn how to play Gypsy Jazz" and I would say "NO! don't change a thing!"

http://kailinyong.com/
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I thought you had a new guitar? Was this filmed before that?
    This was from last September.
    Wow that's some nice music! Ah Joscho, the thing with him that's so cool is that with all the notes he plays the music and melody is still in the foreground.
    I just realized I saw you guys together "at the barn" in Madison. You two sounded great and you were amazing on rhythm (I'm assuming I'm putting together the right face with djangobooks user name).
    Kailin has unique sound. If he doesn't consider himself a gypsy jazz violinist what's his musical background? He doesn't sound classically trained either, his playing is much more free almost like a Hungarian folk gypsy musician. The whole group is awesome really.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Thanks. Yes I joined Joscho in Madison. First shows with him and I was completely intimidated. Kailin was actually very classically trained, and was the concertmaster at the Vienna conservatory, so very impressive pedigree. But then he ended up homeless in San Francisco and started playing folk music on the street. His music now is World folk like you noted, with a variety of musical influences including oriental (he is from Singapore), and I think you described his playing very well. I think the way he crossed over to world folk from a strict classical training is one of the things that makes him so unique.