DjangoBooks.com

Translations to English?

kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
Hi,

I've just opened my Givone Method book.

Has anyone translated the preambles to the exercises to english or is it necessary?

I guess I could always hit up Google Translator but I was wondering if anyone beat me to it and could help out :D

TIA, Carlos

Comments

• hanear21hanear21
    I don't know if anyone has translated it, but I can confidently say that there's no need to read it. I've been working with his 5 forms for about 8 months and I've had tons of progress without knowing a lick of French.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    hanear21 wrote:
    I've had tons of progress without knowing a lick of French.

Until you've known a French lick, you've never truly lived.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • deadedithdeadedith New
    There's an old joke about how the French ladies hold their liquor but probably not appropriate here and WAY off the subject.. :D
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ok now I have to google that one....
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    OK, that's great to hear.

I wasn't sure if there were any compelling instructions.

These Licks sound great.

I have working through Gypsy Rhythm and Gypsy Picking for the last three months. Elliot's logic for this being the next step made sense to me.

Thanks!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Good luck with your Givone studies, kevorkazito. I'm no longer taking any formal responsibility for the former support group, but I can offer you this advice--- as far as I'm aware, nobody in our group managed to do Givone's "linked" version of the forms, but just learned them separately.

additionally, I would suggest learning the forms in the following order:

1) major tonic
    2) major dominant
    3) minor tonic
    4) minor dominant

since Givone provides all the fingerings as "G" chords (G, Gm, G7, G7b9) I would suggest transposing either the tonic to C or the dominant to D7 so that you can learn matching tonic and dominant fingerings for the same fingerboard location at the same time.

Anyway, have fun, and I think you'll really enjoy this and benefit from it... The big challenge is to internalize it to the point where you don't even consciously think about it as you use it in your playing.

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Thank you for you valuable advice Will (I mean that).

I have saved every post in the forum as I thought it may disappear sometime.

My improv *stinks* and I'm hoping this instruction will be the vines I can grab while I'm flyin' through the air (now I'm face-planting into the trees of when I let go into the improv forest :D

I have learned some numbers well however there's nothing that I am playing that is coming from my head and I want that so very much.

Thanks again, Carlos
  • hanear21hanear21
    I'll also add that in my experience, doing the linked exercises did not seem worth the effort because the forms were linked in very uninteresting ways, usually only through the high and low E strings. You can find more interesting ways to link them with a little bit of experimentation I think.