DjangoBooks.com

Songe D'Automne Chord voicings

hanear21hanear21
edited May 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 62
I am having a hard time figuring out the voicings for the chords at the beginning of this song. In the fakebook it is written like this: C- /B /Bb /A Ab etc.....It's this first part I can't figure out. I'm sure there are a ton of ways to do this. Any suggestions?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Can you post the chart and I'll have a look but I think it's just a walk down of the bass note over a Cm chord.

I think the song is 'typically' played in Am though.
  • hanear21hanear21
    Here's the chart in question: http://screencast.com/t/2y7o4dpwt
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Le bump. I'm having a hard time figuring this one out as well. I'm using the Rosenberg's Roots version, but can't figure the slash/walkdown, in Cm (. Anyone?

-Actually, just messing around, and this is probably whacked, but... Cm, Bm/5+, Gm, Cm6/G:

33x24x
    -for the first 4 measures, then an Ab6, Fm6, C#07, G7 for the next 4.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Here's how I'd play it but I have small hands:

8 10 10 8 x x
    8 10 9 8 x x
    8 x 8 8 x x
    8 x 7 8 x x

If you have a big, strong reach you could do this but I can't reach it in 1st position for Cm (but if I move it up a couple frets for Dm I can)

3 x 1 5 x x
    3 x 1 4 x x
    3 x 1 3 x x
    3 x 1 2 x x
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Bones. The first position sounds great (and this is really a deficit, why I concentrate on rhythm...without the ability to construct even simpler variations...I'm pretty limited....tone and timekeeping is obviously not "enough.") I had the higher walkdown from Cm to Cm6, but for some reason the 7th was bugging me.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 4,735

Charts and chords for this song always sounded clumsy to me. Always felt they just don't fit nicely with the melody. Does anyone else feel this way? So today I set out about improving them and this is what I ended up with.

First A I play C- with the 5th string root and move the notes on the g string (in the audio intro I move the bass notes on the 5th and 6th strings) and second B I play C- with the 6th string root to get to Gdim which is one of chord changes I made. And so on, I'll get more into it if there's interest. I recorded a quick take to hear what it sounds like together with the melody. And it sounds fine to me, better. I learned the melody just now so that can be played better. I didn't try to transcribe one of the famous versions to see what the pros are playing.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited February 2022 Posts: 1,855

I often use 3-note chord fingerings for bass walk downs which I learned many years ago from a Johnny Smith chord manual... I don't know how commonly used these are in Gj...?

Cm 8X58XX

Cm/B 7X58XX

Cm7 6X58XX

Cm6 5X58XX (or 5655XX)

Or alternately...

Cm 3X15XX

Cm/B 3X14XX

Cm7 3X13XX

Cm6 3X12XX

... the second one is tough to finger near the nut but gets more usable higher up the fingerboard...

Will

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."