DjangoBooks.com

Adrien & Gonzalo New Recording

2»

Comments

• noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i keep coming back to that vid - man, the dexterity, fluency and abundance of ideas is just mind-blowing, but it still grooves and sounds relaxed.
  • Heavy DjangoHeavy Django ✭✭✭
    After listening to this, it really made me aware of how different the traditional GJ "camp" is from the "modern" GJ. They are SO different conceptually. I like some of the clever lines both players come up with, but it is a chops fest, let's face it. And yes, they both have amazing guitar chops. But there are sooooo many notes played in long succession without breaks (something guitarists in general are often guilty of, given the instrument) and played with that "cold" straight 8th note feel (modern jazz versus that swing bounce). By the way, that "swing bounce" that I'm referring to is still felt in modern GJ players like Stochelo and Angelo....maybe it's a true gypsy trademark :)! Not sure, but it's not present in the lines that I'm hearing on this new recording. Not saying good or bad, just a very different feel in my observation. Frankly, I found all the athleticism tiring by the end of the song...that part didn't appeal to me FWIW. Before you throw stones at me, let me say that I'll buy it to support the music, I know these guys and they're exceptionally talented and nice. BUT ....since this is a forum for insight and good discussion, it's interesting to listen to Fapy's version of Django's Tiger and then immediately listen to this one for a study in contrasts, so here it is:

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    It's true they're stylistically different. But I'm glad of that. If everyone had an identical style I'd lose interest in the genre fairly fast and so would most people because it would mean that the genre was dying. For G.J., I listen to everything from Tchan-Tchou's waltzes to Bireli on a Strat... and I love Bix Beiderbeck and Roy Hargrove.... Dave Brubeck and Herbie Hancock.... Frank Sinatra and Public Enemy, Rolling Stones & A7X. Music is the nectar of the gods and I like a wide variety of nectars.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Fapy's version is about 240 BPM and Gonz/Adrien is about 280.

It's pretty tough to swing eighths at 280 (let alone 240). Not that I can play that fast. I would imagine that it is a pretty big jump from 240 to 280 so I would expect even the same player to play it quite differently at those 2 tempos.

I think at that point it is somewhat the proverbial 'apples and oranges' comparison but personally I like both versions.
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Holo wrote:
    It's true they're stylistically different. But I'm glad of that. If everyone had an identical style I'd lose interest in the genre fairly fast and so would most people because it would mean that the genre was dying. For G.J., I listen to everything from Tchan-Tchou's waltzes to Bireli on a Strat... and I love Bix Beiderbeck and Roy Hargrove.... Dave Brubeck and Herbie Hancock.... Frank Sinatra and Public Enemy, Rolling Stones & A7X. Music is the nectar of the gods and I like a wide variety of nectars.

I agree with you 100%. Actually I thought it was very refreshing to hear Adrien and Gonzalo play Djangos Tiger at that tempo because it is traditionally played in a medium tempo. It gave a new vibe to the tune.
    If Adrien and Gonzalo played all burner tunes, then one could say that it might be monotonous or whatever. But both of these players have great taste and variety in rhythmical styles and tempos.

I think the comparison videos that Heavy Django posted really underline that point. Here you have two radically different flavors of Djangos Tiger. I think that's a lot better than only having a narrow range of tempo and styles for that tune.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    my two musical heroes are Monk and Bill Evans - so, well, i guess i follow you guys.
    Bob Holo wrote:
    (...)Tchan-Tchou's waltzes to Bireli on a Strat... and I love Bix Beiderbeck and Roy Hargrove.... Dave Brubeck and Herbie Hancock.... Frank Sinatra and Public Enemy, Rolling Stones & A7X.
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    Agreed there is a noticable difference in the 'camps' but that is why I love this genre of music. If I choose to I can listen to the fire of Stochelo or a distorted Bireli breathing new life into a Django classic etc...Who knows? The rest of the tracks on the album might contain less notes, maybe a slow bossa version of the traditionally fast Hungaria and this will undoubtedly upset some people but the most important thing is the evolution of the genre.
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    ...After listening to this, it really made me aware of how different the traditional GJ "camp" is from the "modern" GJ. They are SO different conceptually. I like some of the clever lines both players come up with, but it is a chops fest, let's face it. And yes, they both have amazing guitar chops. But there are sooooo many notes played in long succession without breaks (something guitarists in general are often guilty of, given the instrument) and played with that "cold" straight 8th note feel (modern jazz versus that swing bounce)... Frankly, I found all the athleticism tiring by the end of the song...

I agree...it sounded like they were just trying to blow each other away. This is sure fun to watch and especially great fun to see live, but it's hard to listen to, especially repeated listenings on a recording. I'm sure the whole album wont be this fast. Adrien is one of the most dextrous and amazingly creative guitarists to emerge in recent years...listening to his 'All The Way' album...he'll dazzle you with his blazing chops in one song and then stop you in your tracks with a lovely Blue in Green!

Would love to see a DVD with these guys...would also love to see Adrien sparring with Bireli! :wink: