DjangoBooks.com

Choosing the guitar

Comments

• galvanometrgalvanometr Czech Republic✭✭ Lebreton Modele 4
    Couldn't get that Lebreton out of my head, so I've just ordered me a new one.
    Thanks everyone for tips and info.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I once had a great Busato, but it was too spendy to take around town for me.
    I have two Lebretons. They aren't Busatos, but they are "Selmers"!
    Hope you like it.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Yeh, looking forward to it.

Mature solid rio rosewood back and sides and spruce top. It already sounds nice to me.
    Look closely at the 0 fret. Jean put a rise in the fretboard! on the bass side as well as using taller fretwire on the 0 fret. I "corrected" this because I find no value in raised 0 frets. Other than that (which clearly was a a bit of work -and a choice- for him) the set up was great. His necks and the action overall have remained true without doing anything.
    I love my Lebreton.
    Long time no update, so guitar should be finished in about 2 weeks from now. Can't wait to tune it and hit the chord for the first time. This is what it looked like about 2 weeks ago.
    One little question: As the guitar should be shipped around the new year, I'm a bit worried about the guitar being exposed to low temperatures (especially the fresh varnish). I know it's gonna be in hard case, but still...
    Am I supposed to worry?
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 3,707
    Interested to hear your thoughts on it...and yes I would be very concerned about shipping. Guitar through very cold dry conditions. If it ends up on outside wall of truck for a day or two could get pretty cold.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    I have to disagree about white binding (the comments on the first page of this thread). It looks absolutely perfect to me! This might be because I grew up with a guitar (classical) that had white binding in my home? I'd much rather have one like that, than the ones with dark binding. Isn't it terrific that both alternatives exist?

By the way, what's the idea of having a raised zero fret? And a rise in the fretboard on the bass side? I haven't heard of those things before. Is it to compensate for the strings eating into to metal later on?
    Galvanometr
    Waiting for a untested guitar might be nerve wracking. My sympathy goes out to you.
    I play the one Lebreton every day. The other one has a clearer sound that more folks might like. My VR is just wonderful too. It's not about one being better than another.
    You know he braces these things using the Selmac layout + his own Kasha system. Get a mirror inside, when you get it, and you'll be amazed!
    I think Jean's guitars capture the smoky sound of Djangos later guitars intact. It will be a great guitar, he (Jean) is onto something and your getting a piece of it.

Did you specify any dimensions or? I got a beefy neck with my own fretmarker design, just the way I wanted. Nice.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 37
    Thanks for a confirmation of my inner shipping fears. I'll sure ask for Jean's take on this, this can't be new to him.
    Who knows, maybe they're offering tempered vans or something.

Very well said, Matteo. You did really gave me a little lesson in cherishing our options today. May sound undue, but comes straight from heart, thank you.

Can't wait already and you're not helping it, Jeff. ;) Glad to hear you love your own Lebretons.
    I have a feeling these are really top guns and I will adore the sound characteristics of my little gem. I believe this isn't just a job for Jean, he loves what he's doing. I've specified everything I could remember, but basicly I kept all the dimensions very Selmerish, including the old style neck shape/profile.
    Dimension wise it's all Selmer, some woods are different, plus there are fretmarks on the side of the fingerboard.
    Oh and about that 0 fret, I've asked Jean, he said it's not gonna be that much higher and it's to avoid fret buzz on open strings. Basicly like a second nut, tho this statement probably isn't that accurate. I think Jean knows what he's doing, so I decided to leave it up to him.