DjangoBooks.com

Rest Stroke

252hardt252hardt New
edited June 2013 in Technique Posts: 14
Hi,

So, I am currently learning the rest stroke technique. However, as someone who mostly plays free stroke, I am worried. Is there any way to be able to play with both methods?

Also, as part of my exams I will have a practical next April. Gypsy Jazz is not necessarily what I am playing, but I am worried my free stroke technique will be affected by me learning the rest stroke.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• I am confused. Free stroke is a fingersyle of playing. Are you referring to alternate picking or ?? am I just lost in the intergenerational zone.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • 252hardt252hardt New
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    I am confused. Free stroke is a fingersyle of playing. Are you referring to alternate picking or ?? am I just lost in the intergenerational zone.

My mistake. Sorry, I meant the basic picking method everyone usually develops when beginning guitar. I am not sure of the proper term but it's just commonly used in rock etc.

But let's say it was alternate picking. Could someone be able to play with both techniques. What I mean by this is, can someone paly one song with an ordinary alternate picking technique and then play minor swing with the rest stroke?

Thanks
  • The short,answer is a qualified yes. In the long run the more you play rest stroke and gypsy picking the more your concept of guitarnwill change. My ears tell me for those who I have heard make the change, I really like the change that happens, but that is a personal value judgement.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • 252hardt252hardt New
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    The short,answer is a qualified yes. In the long run the more you play rest stroke and gypsy picking the more your concept of guitarnwill change. My ears tell me for those who I have heard make the change, I really like the change that happens, but that is a personal value judgement.

Thanks.