DjangoBooks.com

Fapy Le Jazz on the vintage Mic

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
edited July 2013 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 561
Hey there

I just received Fappy's le jazz recordings from 94 and 96, recorded on the pre-War Ribbon Mics using a Pre-war engineer, and here are some excerpts from the liner notes -

"Somehow the rhythm is lost in the perfection of modern sound reproduction which highlights each instrument individually"
(I agree completely)
Also -

"The solution was clear - Record as did the quintet (hot club france). So we used a single, retired prewar ribbon mic, with a retired BBC sound engineer to drive it. hung it up in a barn somewhere... and adjusted the mix by moving our chairs. Only then did the monophonic sound with it's flat dynamic range, poor frequency response, and absense of harmonics seem good enough to invite fappy to join us"

And lastly -

"The quality of sound... we found merely to be a biproduct of playing and recording in a style long forgotten by most, and longed for by others."

I would be one of those people who longed for this sound. I'm glad I found it...

Now if only someone would use this same recording technique for a line of play alongs.

Cheers
Anthony

Comments

• Also, the playing is fantastic on those recordings.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I just listened to the first few songs and it's truly mind boggling.

It really takes the BEST of the old mic recording sound, but combines it with some modern day techniques and controls. So you end up with that old haunting sound, but with really good perfect levels and not the extra hiss you would get in some of the recordings (Like Limehouse blues for example). Every track is very CLEAR, but somehow with that mono sound.

Amazing.