DjangoBooks.com

"You stepped out of a dream"

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
From a different thread:
I think Denis says somewhere among his DVDs, don't play something because you read somewhere this is what you "should" play if (starting out, wanting to move to another plateau, etc.). Play what you like.

For me, rather than GJ standards, what I really like to play are American Songbook standards... and at DiJ I noticed that even Tcha Limburger is into these, too, as evidenced by his concert in which he sang and played another of my faves, "When Your Lover Has Gone".

"You stepped out of a dream" goes back to 1940, and a legion of pop and jazz stars have recorded it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Stepped_Out_of_a_Dream

...but for me the classic version will always be the one by Nat King Cole, who in my humble opinion was fully as uber-cool as Django...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0pMTwwMMDM

"You stepped out of a dream" has great chords for improvising; if you play it at about 140 - 160 bpm, the constant parade of interesting chords to work through is like you're in a batting cage getting pitches lobbed at exactly the right speed and location, and it's almost impossible not to wallop the ball every time!

Attached please find lead sheet and backing track, hope you like this tune...

As my now-deceased father used to say, "If this is the kind of thing you like, then I think you'll really, really like it..."

:wink::wink::wink::wink:

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    This is the version I remember and love most

But there's also a fantastic and different version on Warne Marsh and Red Mitchell's duo album "Big Two" (couldn't find a youtube link, sorry). Great tune, and yes, probably a good candidate for this style. Just thinking about it now, you could probably even do a super fast version with a samba or rhumba feel for the A section. That'd make all the "modern" gypsy jazz guys happy...

Jon
  • lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    you could probably even do a super fast version with a samba or rhumba feel for the A section.

or even a Brazilian feel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z36pErjptCs