DjangoBooks.com

New Jimi Hendrix biopic "All is by my side"

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
Just saw the film this afternoon at the TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival)... Initial reactions:

- Andre 3000 was totally believable as Hendrix, whatever else you want to say about this film. Even his left-handed guitar playing was totally believable, though it seems some other guitarists provided the actual music... mainly a guy named Woody Wachtel whom Id never heard of.

- Because the Hendrix estate wouldn't co-operate with the filmmakers, no actual Hendrix music could be used.

- Most of the film covers Hendrix' 1966-67 time in England.

- Several scenes seem to be less than factual: today there was a comment on the Guardian website by Kathy Etchingham, Hendrix' real life girlfriend at the time, who denies that Hendrix ever assaulted her, as was depicted in the film.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/se ... ew-toronto

- I also wonder about the scene where Jimi meets Eric Clapton and joins his 60's band Cream onstage for a jam session... Clapton is depicted as being so threatened by Jimi's great playing that he runs off the stage and hides. I have a feeling this probably never happened, as by all reports Clapton and Hendrix got along well and were both in awe of the other's talents.

- I've read somewhere that Hendrix was very proud of his military service, bringing into question the scene in which a bunch of English bobbies hassle him for wearing a military jacket which he'd bought at a second hand store and he responds by taking off the jacket and throwing it on the ground.

- Full disclosure- I was never a big Hendrix fan back in the day and in fact preferred Django even back then. That being said, I enjoyed this film greatly and I think most GJ guitarists will enjoy it too.

Even though the filmmakers were forced to use a facsimile version of his music, the movie is pretty damn good... or at least, it will have to do until somebody makes a biopic about Django!

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• guitarnowskiguitarnowski Peru, ILNew Gitane, etc., etc.,
    I haven't seen the movie, but could the guy playing the parts have actually been Waddy Wachtel? He's played with everybody. From Linda Ronstadt in the 70's to being part of Keith Richards' Expensive Winos band. He's pretty badass.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 1,854
    I just googled it and the Rolling Stone review said:

The remakes were cut in Los Angeles by a session-legend power trio including Waddy Wachtel (who's played guitar for Keith Richards, Stevie Nicks and Linda Ronstadt), Leland Sklar (bassist for James Taylor, Jackson Browne and Phil Collins), and Kenny Aronoff (former John Mellencamp drummer).]

It s my impression that Mr Wachtel goes by both names, "Waddy" and "Woody".

But IIRC, the credits at the end of the film mentioned a couple of other guitarists being involved in addition to Wachtel, though googling didn't bring up their names...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."