DjangoBooks.com

UK beginner players/resources?

Comments

• HemertHemert Prodigy
    NickH wrote:
    I totally agree about making the rhythm a priority. Its so different and more complex to anything i play in bluegrass. !
    Gypsy rhythm is definitely not more complicated than good bluegrass rhythm. Bluegrass rhythm to the level of a Brian Sutton or the Rice brothers requires much more pick control and subtlety than gypsy rhythm.
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    Nick, the venue that hosts Beaufort jazz is here http://junctionpubrainford.co.uk/whatson.html
    It also hosts other gypsy and jazz events aside from the jam. Cheers Micky.
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • NickHNickH
    Thanks Micky. It's great to find places like this within driving distance.

I've had such a warm welcome and great info here. Thanks.

I've been in touch with Tim Robinson who has been really helpful. Hopefully i might be able to arrange a skype lesson with him to set me off on the right track.

Nick
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Nick, good for you! I think you'll find Tim to be a great teacher and resource if you can work something out. He's a fine player as well, so try to get down to hear him play, if you can.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • NickHNickH
    Hi Folks,

Just checking in with an update really...

I'm a few months into learning both the guitar and gypsy jazz now, and the penny has dropped on what a daunting task it is. Nevertheless i'm enjoying the process and i'm now hooked!

I felt i needed a teacher. Tim Robinson was the first person i became aware of. He didn't have an available slot for Skype lesson but we had a good chat on the phone and he gave me some great direction and tips.

Since then I've been lucky enough too find a teacher very close too my home: Samuel C Lees. I've been having lessons since November and as a complete beginner i don't know how i'd have got started without them really.

I've been taking my first steps in learning Rhythm and picking on Djangology and Minor swing. And i'm beginning too learn a few Arpeggios.

I've also got hold of the gypsy picking book and The Dennis Chang Rhythm DVD. All i can say is that there is no substitute for learning this music from another person. To anyone out there just starting out who can find a teacher.. don't hesitate!
  • NickHNickH
    By the way i don't suppose anyone knows if there is any resource that shows the guitar fretboard and chords relating too those used in Gypsy Jazz? I feel i really need to start to learn the guitar fretboard.
  • Hemert wrote: »
    NickH wrote:
    I totally agree about making the rhythm a priority. Its so different and more complex to anything i play in bluegrass. !
    Gypsy rhythm is definitely not more complicated than good bluegrass rhythm. Bluegrass rhythm to the level of a Brian Sutton or the Rice brothers requires much more pick control and subtlety than gypsy rhythm.

As someone who has a reasonable facility with both, I would say that Bluegrass guitar at its best is harmonically less complicated and the rhythms are less complicated but technically both require a similar skill level.

Artistically, well that is such a personal thing isn't it.

Basic bluegrass is much easier than basic GJ. Technically, chordally, harmonically, rhythmically ........ much much simpler.

The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • NickHNickH
    Hi Stuart,

Thanks...You did mention Sam! This thread has been such a help to me. I found out he's located only 2 miles from my house which has been fantastic. I've just reached the stage where i can play Djangology slowly through against Sam's rhythm. which feels wonderful.

I'm not really at the Jamming stage but i agree, i need too get along and meet some players. Attending Jams It certainly helped me with my bluegrass.

I'll look into Arps, i only know the name vaguely. I have both the books you mention. The Givone is in French so i'll have too sit down when i have a moment and work it out.

Nick
  • The best way to go in my opinion......learn to play rhythm well.....stick with that at jams for a few years. Spend some time at home learning the heads and some basic solos. So many good backing tracks and software to slow them down now, or band in a box if you want to make your own. Good GJ rhythms and sounds in Band in a Box.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • NickHNickH
    @Jazzaferri Definately makes sense too me. otherwise i it may be years before i can play solos at Jams!

Yes.. hopefully see you soon Stuart.