DjangoBooks.com

film about Francis Moerman

scotscot Virtuoso
edited December 2013 in History Posts: 653
I've always been interested in music history; my many posts on the subject here at Djangobooks testify to that. There are always questions to ask, old recordings to track down, and best of all, interesting people to meet - both the older musicians and fellow seekers. I began looking for old musicians in the late 1970s. Over the years I met and spent time with many unforgettable characters and musicians who played many styles of music - fiddler Tommy Jarrell, bluesman Turner Foddrell, Howard Armstrong ("Louie Bluie"), who defies any sort of description, and poet/musician Will McLean, to name just a few. Later on I had the opportunity to meet and pass some time with French guitarists Francis Moerman and Maurice Ferre. And that's not even mentioning the incredible musicians of my own generation I met along the way. Such adventures!

I know that many people here saw the excellent documentary about the Ferret Brothers entitled "A L'Ombre d'un Nuage" that Sebastien Boyer presented at Django in June in 2012. That film was made by a talented filmmaker named Julien Gueret, who is currently at work on a new project, a longer film to document the life of Francis-Alfred Moerman. I visited Francis many times over an 18 year span, and I can tell you, he truly was a most extraordinary man - I don't know any other way to describe him. He was wise and generous, a great storyteller, equally at ease in a chateau, an old farmhouse, in a gypsy camp, or a middle class American home. I can't compare him to anyone else because I've never met anyone remotely like him. If you met him, you just couldn't help but be charmed.

Julien has talked to many of the musicians who played with Francis over his 50-year career, and we have managed to collect a fair amount of interview and candid film made by a variety of other documentarians as well. Francis is gone now, but this film will give the world a chance to see something of the life and times of this unusual musician and artist. I hope it will be of interest to many members of this forum - our music has a fascinating history and it's important to continue the documenting of this history while we can.

The film is partially complete but as always with this type of project there are budget problems and so far, all the funding has come from family and friends. The film is a true labor of love - there is no commercial, grant or government money involved. The production is being managed by "Les Amis de Francis-Alfred Moerman" a non-profit organization which was started by Francis' sister Catherine and Sebastien Boyer. Their website is here http://www.francisalfredmoerman.com. At this site, you will find a trailer for the film along with some other video and a way to help out with the project - it's an easy paypal transaction and you will receive membership and a DVD of the film for a modest contribution here http://www.francisalfredmoerman.com/help.html. Please help out if you can. And if you have any questions you may always contact me via the usual methods.

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Many thanks for those nice words on Francis Moerman, for the site address as well with those very interesting videos full of emotions and last but not least thanks for your true love for that music and for the many gems you have always generously given around you

Best
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thank you indeed, Scot. You keep the lifeblood of this history going, and I'm grateful to continue to come to know of it. Looking forward to this film very much.

-Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Thanks Ted,

What a sweet beautiful Human :clap:

I loved the part where F. A M. was stated as saying
    Something that Many Musicians tend to Forget
    For a gig to be interesting and viable over time.
    EVERYONE MUST BE HAPPY
    The Employer, the Audience and the Musicians.

I would of loved to known, met and played with him.

pick on

pickitjohn
  • Thanks for posting this
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @scot

Thanks for the footage and link to this site…
    The film is partially complete but as always with this type of project there are budget problems and so far, all the funding has come from family and friends. The film is a true labor of love - there is no commercial, grant or government money involved. The production is being managed by "Les Amis de Francis-Alfred Moerman" a non-profit organization which was started by Francis' sister Catherine and Sebastien Boyer. Their website is here http://www.francisalfredmoerman.com. At this site, you will find a trailer for the film along with some other video and a way to help out with the project - it's an easy paypal transaction and you will receive membership and a DVD of the film for a modest contribution here http://www.francisalfredmoerman.com/help.html. Please help out if you can. And if you have any questions you may always contact me via the usual methods.

Glad to be part of the Project and look forward to the DVD

as you said…
    I hope it will be of interest to many members of this forum - our music has a fascinating history and it's important to continue the documenting of this history while we can.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • KarenAnnKarenAnn Virginia✭✭
    Did anyone ever receive the dvd? I donated in June 2014 and did not get it.
    @KarenAnn

Nothing ever for me, still glad to help, and will be Glad when complete.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    I talked to Sebastien Boyer a couple weeks ago and the DVD was in the final stages of mastering, adding subtitles, all that sort of thing. It has taken longer than we had hoped to see this through, but projects like this one always do. I'll see what I can find out about a possible release date; it'll be soon.
    @scot
    thanks for the update, look forward to the release
  • Thanks @scot. I look forward to it. Come down to Columbia and see the band!