DjangoBooks.com

Puzzlesome jazz violin sound / technique

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
edited December 2013 in Violin Posts: 600
This guy has a reputation as perhaps the finest jazz violinist in Scotland:
but I cant understand what he's doing / how he's getting this sound. Any ideas?

-A-

http://www.alexyellowleesband.com/listen.php

Comments

I listened to the first two samples.
    I've never heard such processed violin sound.
    Assuming that the sound indeed comes from a violin, listening to those samples without knowing anything about it I'd say it's some synth or a midi keyboard/guitar or what have you, that's trying to fake the sound of violin.
    It's very unflattering to the violin, I'd say. Not sure why he chose to do that.
    Great playing on the other hand.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Sounds like maybe an octave chorus with just a touch of slow flange or maybe his hand or body coming in proximity to the mic are causing that slightly panned 'wah' you hear from time to time... and a pretty decent amount of plate reverb or something of that nature... something shimmery. Take w/ a big grain of salt, as the last time I did any mastering work, boards still had knobs and sliders ;-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    at first I thought it was some sort of electronically synthesised / generated tone from a midi-pickup or strange unknown electric violin. But on listening again I can see how it might be an acoustic violin pickup, heavily treated in post-production . I guess " octave chorus" is "chorus" plus "octaver ", I was never an FX expert.- Exactly why he'd choose to go this heavily effected way i can only guess- (Although I *DO* quite like hearing Costel Nitescu and Didier Lockwood using their auto-wah pedals)

Anyway i clicked through to his myspace page and there are some nice live in concert recordings of him on "acoustic violin" - check out the different sound ;-)

https://myspace.com/alexyellowlees/music/songs
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I think it might be a tracking device adding a "voice" (another note) to the amplified signal. Its an analog to digital conversion.
    They have processors these days that will add harmony or octave unison, or what ever you set it for.
    It seems to be the same setting for every track.
    It may be slightly pitch off set or hi band flanged.
    Theres also the usual compression and some sort of room simulation.
    FWIW
  • QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew
    I'd say either there is a small mute above the E string, or
    its EQ'd for a different sound on that string. Would call
    it an "electronic wolf tone" :^}