DjangoBooks.com

Does Moreno get short-changed?

oscaroscar yesNew
edited July 2005 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 52
Inspired by the recent thread on Romane, here I would like to hear some thoughts on Moreno.

I had heard mention of some negative opinions regarding Moreno prior to actually hearing his music. Too macho, to flashy, too loud, etc.

But after hearing some of his music, his Le Fils du Vent cd primarily and some anthology cuts, I am wondering why the big fuss? This cd has become one of my all-time favorites. Were his earlier recordings much different? To my ears he certainly has the harder attack of the Alsace or Germany region players but I also hear a real musicality to his phrasing and a surprising lyricism too. In my personal listening pantheon, I would put him in the very highest category of current players--well, maybe a single slot for Bireli above all others, and then the rest, but that is another discussion.

What do you all think of Moreno, and what are his essential recordings?

Comments

• plankityplankity CTNew
    I remember in the fall, he was to play at Le Quecumbar and it was a big enough deal that a friend in the states here told me he "could fly over and get a room, see the show and get home for around $900 -- but what if he doesn't show?" I guess Moreno doesn't like leaving the continent (even to go to the UK) so he lacks the visibility and exposure he'd get in the 'colonies' which is substantial. Consider Debarre, for instance: once he started coming to the US and Canada, his popularity gained significantly -

Moreno is a great player - top echelon, in my book. At one point, I misplaced my copy of his Le Fils du Vent and was seriously jonesing... I can't really express the relief I felt when I finally found it again!

Plankity
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Ted,

do you know if Alain stocks the Moreno CD he did with his wife? If not, where is the best place to get it?
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    that CD has an in-credible version of Tiger Rag with a Stimer... it reminds me of old 60's surf rock... :-)
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Any chance that the Moreno Electric! album is available in the US? I wqas listenening to the Gypsy jazz school cd's between classes and the tune called Tchan-Tchou is awesome. In my oppinion he really nails the Tchan-Tchou electric tone from Swinging Guitars. Listening to that I might be able to dail it in.I am thinking more reverb. so yeah if anyone knows of a US source let me know I found one on Amazon France, with the exchange rate is a little steep for a cd I already spent my scholarship money (on bills of all the crap to spend money on :wink: )
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap, Batman! Did you see the prices they're asking?!?!

$79? $42? Are they insane...or are we in the wrong business?

I'd rather burn a copy and just send Moreno $15.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    plankity wrote:
    I remember in the fall, he was to play at Le Quecumbar and it was a big enough deal that a friend in the states here told me he "could fly over and get a room, see the show and get home for around $900 -- but what if he doesn't show?"Plankity

Actually Moreno is extremely professional and very reliable;an extremely classy and charismatic guy!
    Colin (Cosimini) told me in Samois that Moreno used to be a catwalk model :-)
    Anyway, the Quecumbar gig is this thursday--he's playing with the great Stevi Demeter on serious rhythm gtr and Marina on vocals and our own George Trebar on bass.
    Can't wait!
    Hes also playing at l'esprit manouche this weekend

Stu
    (freshly inspired post Samois!!!)