DjangoBooks.com

Plectrums for jazz

Comments

• SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 393
    Thanks Al W! I'll try a file, if I can find a very fine one; I expect the surface has to be really smooth so the pick doesn't get stuck on the wound strings. Or else I'll by a couple of new ones. Expensive picks is part of the charm, isn't it? I'll check out the different Dunlop picks too, but my favourite is the Wegen Fatone (5 mm) so I'm afraid the Dunlops won't suit me so well.
  • Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    Buco wrote: »
    jkaz wrote: »
    I also would like to try Dunlop Ultex in 1.5 or 2mm:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-433P200-Ultex-Sharp/dp/B002M2JAAA/ref=pd_sim_MI_4
    only I'd try to round out the tip.

That's what I use (including the rounding of the tip) and I find them to be quite similar to the tortoise picks I made myself. I much prefer them to the Delrin picks, as they are much harder.
  • Hey Buco...which blue chip do you use?
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014 Posts: 1,471
    Matteo wrote: »
    Thanks Al W! I'll try a file, if I can find a very fine one; I expect the surface has to be really smooth so the pick doesn't get stuck on the wound strings. Or else I'll by a couple of new ones. Expensive picks is part of the charm, isn't it? I'll check out the different Dunlop picks too, but my favourite is the Wegen Fatone (5 mm) so I'm afraid the Dunlops won't suit me so well.

Matteo, I know I use it for different purposes (rhythm, not lead), but I actually like it when my Wegens wear down. The Fatone is my pick of choice as well, has been for quite awhile. It's all I use, really, feels really good in my right hand. Occasionally I'll use the 208's Al mentions, but I find the point too sharp for my needs (granting my needs are for rhythm almost exclusively). But sure is nice to get a 6-pack for 1/3 the price of a regular Wegen!

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    edited January 2014 Posts: 116
    Interesting thread. After much experimentation recently I've rediscovered the Dunlop 207 Jazz Tone (similar to 208's but with a rounded tip). Good articulation for lead lines and a soft bark on rhythm for that Gonzo sound that's been discussed as of late. They're widely available, inexpensive, and a bit larger than teardrops so it's easier to hold with a relaxed grip.
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    Hey Buco...which blue chip do you use?

SR60
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 393
    I agree Passacaglia, the Fatone is really nice for rhythm playing. But not only that. To get the best sound possible from my guitar, I need to use it for soloing too. It is easier to attain precision with a smaller pick, especially in fast passages. But I don't get nearly the same "weight" to the notes as with a Fatone. I've got no choice but to learn to use it in all situations. All other picks give me a weaker or a more muffled sound (in comparison). I'm ok with the cost. It just gives me an opportunity to offer myself a present sometimes. And it's not that I wear it out in a few months or even a year, or two (?) – I really don't remember how long I've had the last one! ;-)
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    wim...can you upload a quick picture of how you are holding the gator?

It looks like this. It doesn't matter which side is facing "up", but the tip should be pointing "back" i.e. towards the bridge. These dunlops are symmetrical to start with but after a few weeks playing them they will wear in the same shape as the tip on a wegen, on both sides.
    Hope that helps ...

jxa2.jpg
  • Thanks, wim. This is great.