DjangoBooks.com

Galli silk and steel

2»

Comments

Now I'm less worried after reading this thread. I got 3 strings broken last week and I was starting to think that was related to the guitar set up. I'm using 0.11 set of john pearse, only to test. I have a galli 0.11 set which I haven't tested yet, now I'm curious. As a newbie in GJ world, I'm still trying sets out to find out which sounds better on my guitar.

Cheers.
  • I am prett sure that Stochelo's tone had far more to do with his technique than his strings.

Some guitars will sound better with the lighter guage some with the slighly heavier guage. That will vary from guitar to guitar and of course player to player. I might sound best with 11's and another player will on the same guitar sound better with 10's.

Try compare, retry, compare again. Either record yourself or play the strings for a few days and then change. Acoustic Memory, even in you young guys is a pretty variable sense.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • I use Argie 11s on my Dunn. I just tried the Galli 11's on it. They have fewer high partials on this guitar. A little more focus on lows perhaps due to the silk windings. If ones guitar seems too trebly they might be a good option. I am curious to try them on my new guitar when I can get down to Seattle and pick it up.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Jon
    I've just switched to Galli green pack silk and steel strings (GSL10s) and they are amazing.

I just put them on my Patenotte. O M G I gotta say this guitar WOKE UP AGAIN.
    I've never had any problems with the Argentine strings breaking but sure am glad to know about the Galli silk and steel. "Love them"

Thanks Jon

pick on
    pickitjohn :peace:
    Jon
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I've got GSL11 on, they sound great I'm liking them so far! My only complaint is they're ball end strings, don't they make a loop end version??? I can only see loop end for the round wound ones on djangobooks ..
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    I talked to Castellucia about strings and his choice is Argentines '11. He says they are generally bad strings, but they are the only ones that has that Django sound.
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    I put a set of 11's Argentines on my Patenotte and I think it is generally improved over 10's, but next after reading this thread I am going to try some Galli silk and steel but have yet to track any down.