DjangoBooks.com

Melodie au Crepuscule chord melody

AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
in Repertoire Posts: 236
Did anybody figure out the chord melody that Stochelo plays on "Melodie au Crepuscule"?
He played it on the recorded version, I think it was the "Caravan" album, and Jimmy Rosenberg also played a similar chord melody on the album "Djangos Tiger".

It's a very beautiful way to play the tune. Here's a clip where Stochelo plays it:

It's just the four chords in the very beginning. If anybody have figured those out and want to share it, I'd be very grateful. I can't figure it out from the way the video is shot.

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 3,319
    Hi Amund, I'm not positive but I think he is doing the same (or similar) thing at about 2:07 and there is a pretty close up shot there. Here's what it looks like to me. I hope that this is readable since I'm trying to make this look like tab.

X - X - 2 - 3
    4 - 5 - 2 - 3
    5 - 4 - 2 - 4
    4 - 5 - 1 - 2
    X - X - X - 2
    5 - 3 - 2 - 0
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 1,854
    Amund, here's the best I can see and hear it---

Chord one is D6. x5443x

Chord two is Edim x4535x

Chord three is F#dim xx1212

Chord four is Em7 xx2433

Good luck!

Will

PS Not to pick a bone with my old pal Bones, it's just that I couldn't decipher what you meant in your previous posting above, buddy!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 3,319
    Bring it, Will!!! :-)

I think the first melody note is D# though so not sure about you're first chord.

Actually, I'm not sure of any of my chords either. I was just playing the note on top, and then watching/listening and trying to figure it out (incl. bass line).

Technically, my chords are Adim, (edit) Cmaj7/G, B7/F#, Em7

I have screen shots of the vid at 0:59 but I can't figure out how to attach a .png image.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Hmm., perhaps you're right, Mike.

So if the first chord's top note is D#, then I guess that would indicate a B7 chord, probably fingered x2424x

To my ears either the D6 or the B7 would work equally well for the intro...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Oh good point. That whole sequence is some sort of B7 (since it's resolving to Em). And the melody is a walk-up. Mystery solved...
  • BonesBones Moderator
    If the whole sequence is B7 going to Em, an easier way to play it is like this (if you don't mind the different bass line).

7 x 7 8 x x
    9 x 9 9 x x
    11 x 9 11 x x
    12 x 12 12 x x
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much! This clears it up for me.

Now what remains is the passing chords on the Em7 before he goes to the A13.

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow when I can play without waking people up.
    If anyone has figured that part out feel free to share.

Again thank you so much for the help!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Amund, I've been tied up for a bit but I'll try to work on that part tomorrow (hopefully). In the mean time, post if you figure it out. Pretty cool stuff.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Amund, sorry for the delay. Busy planting our garden during the day and too tired to play guitar at night. Taking today off so decided to look at this again. I'm pretty sure that the last 2 chords are just open position Em7 to A7(with C# in the bass) as follows:

Em7 020000
    A7/C# x42000

I'll try to take screen shots off of the vid and post them but I'm not that internet savvy so may not work.

Did you transcribe any of the rest of the melody?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edit, oh I guess it worked. Here is the Em7 open position chord.