DjangoBooks.com

Vous aimez le jazz manouche ? A Closer Look at Today's French Jazz Manouche Scene

Comments

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Here is a version of Nuages that would have made Django proud:

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Joseph looks to be playing an electrified classical,......
    Difficult to see clearly but it looks like the guitar he made himself.

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Very interesting article, and discussion! Is Rodolphe Raffali still playing Monday nights at Le piano vache? I went there a couple of years ago and it sure was a memorable night. What a great improviser! Another band that's fun to catch in Paris is Aurore Quartet. It's been a while since I heard them, and they seem to have changed both their line up and musical style a bit, but I'm sure they're still a fantastic live band. And super nice people too. The Dorado Schmitt family band really is something! I heard them at the Oslo festival in January, with the violinist Martin Weiss and the Brady Winterstein trio (a duo on this occasion). They opened with the ballad Claire de lune and they did it in such a way that they managed to raise the level of intensity compared to the fiery up tempo last number of the band immedeately before them. Just incredible! And they looked so happy and relaxed on the stage, listening closely to each others solos and encouraging each other with big smiles on their faces. Antoine Boyer was there too and he played some very inventive stuff, in addition to having a fantastically beautiful guitar sound. No one does vibratos the way he does.
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    "This invasion of “Gadjo-chapeau” was getting annoying… Heaps of blokes playing with hats on, stiff right-hands, wrigglin’around when playing in their loose pants… enthusiasm was here but that was kind of depressing actually!"

IMO anyone playing Django music is good for the music. Why would one care for what those people wear or how they act?

" I once met a young player (now quite famous with his licks and transcription videos) and asked him if he listened to Django, Wes, etc… the basis. Well here’s what he answered to me: “No I don’t listen to them: I transcribe Adrien’s solos because he already transcribed all these guys licks”. I didn’t know if should have cried or laughed!"

Well if that's what he likes, that's what he likes.

• BonesBones Moderator
    I wore a hat at my last gig because it was outdoors on a hot, sunny day. I hope that's ok...
    Come to think of it, Rodolphe Raffali wore a hat at that gig I mentioned. Voilà. A hat is ok if you can play.
  • A hat is ok if you wear hats .... Whether you play or not .... To wear a hat while you play but not otherwise seems to me an affectation
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Good point! I agree.
    And I should start wearing hats on gigs...
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Mmmmm. I sense this thread may have lost direction slightly. [-(