DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to Gypsy Picking

2»

Comments

• JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Been following the forums for a bit, and finally ordered the Gypsy Picking book (bills came first ;-p), but just got it today. What a great Father's day present!!!

I've found some resources on the web that offer some of the suggestions in the book, but am very happy to finally get this book. I began using the rest stroke prior to getting into gypsy jazz, and I do have some 'clean-up' to do, but seeing folks on the web use it, has given me more respect for using it correctly. I really have found such volume and tone, it's great.

Now, to master those arpeggios and patterns - I am like a dog with a new bone, I just can't seem to put my guitar down very long, and the book gives me a great addition to my daily practice regimen.

Thanks for the book, and look forward to learning all that I can.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Gonzalo tagged me at a workshop for not using a rest-stroke more, so I've gone back to this book to try to clean that up. Of course, when the move is exaggereated during the learning process, it seems like all this extra movement that slows me down, but such is the learning process.

I am familiar with the rest-stroke from my classical background, where it is used in particular passages for emphasis, alternating with the free-stroke. Is the rest-stroke in GJ used for all passages? Is there a time when single-note passages are played without the rest stroke (besides on the hgh E string, of course)?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Tele295 wrote:
    Is the rest-stroke in GJ used for all passages? Is there a time when single-note passages are played without the rest stroke (besides on the hgh E string, of course)?

All downstrokes are rest strokes in this style...

'm
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Rats. I was afraid you'd say that....
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com