DjangoBooks.com

Please recommend a gypsy technique course

2»

Comments

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I feel like learning solos note for note has been excellent for my sense of timing, my ear training, my sense of phrasing, timing and technique. Plus I find it fun.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    The way I did it was Gypsy Picking by M. Horowitz (#1) then Gypsy fire (Never got to playing Shine at full speed haha) ...

You definitely need to get your picking going first. Denis Chang's Dvd's and the streaming courses in Dc school are great as well.

And I wouldn't underestimate la pompe's difficulty... After 9 years studying this style I've found that most player's biggest weakness is the ability to play rhythm right.

good luck!
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Denis Chang hands down: his DVDs and music school is the most comprehensive analysis of the style.
    RA and Gonzalo's books are also great because they break down licks and solos.
    Learning a solo or the outline of a solo is a good way to already have some safe spots to land on, and improvise around it. I wish I would spend some time drafting my solos. Clearly a lot of our Gypsy stars do it.
    - JG
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    +1 For the reinier voet course already mentioned previously. If you are a new member to the site, you can even get through the whole course for free (but the download is a bargain either way..)

He does rabbit on a bit too much about the harmonic minor scale (melodic minor is more where it's at for the django sound), but for the most part it's a very nice primer.

Clement Reboul's exercises are very good too:

http://www.clementreboul.com/pedagogie/

Learning a few waltzes also great for lead players, because the melodies are usually relentless arpeggios following the chord changes closely and demanding correct right hand technique to get a good sound.

And I agree that learning a django solo or two note for note is useful and worthy study. You can bet all the modern masters have paid their dues this way too. You realise a million little details about timing and sound that you probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise just noodling around with your own ideas. (Not to say noodling around with your own ideas isn't beneficial too!!)
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I really like Samy Daussat and his Cours de Guitarre Jazz Manouche. It is free on Facebook and gives you a video with a .pdf for each exercise. I am also working on the Renier Voet course and Gonzalo's How I Learned Vol. 1 & 2. While Gonzalo's isn't the prettiest sounding, it's nice to see and hear how a great guitarist puts his arpeggios and licks together. And of course, I'm working my way through Gypsy Picking and Gypsy Rhythm by Michael Horowitz.
  • I have learned a couple of Django's solos complete. I have listened to so much of his stuff for so long I am sure some of it just pops out. I do learn a number of his phrases and those of others I like. Whether guitars horns violins or whatever.

Not saying its wrong to learn to imitate all his solos note for note......just not for me.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed