DjangoBooks.com

What's your favorite pick?

2»

Comments

• I use a Blue Chip 1.5 mm that Matthew made for me. Its a replica of a big city with Blue a Chip profile. My number one pick, fast quiet, and can go from crunchy to smooth with just a minor shift in angle. Backup and use sometime are the thinner big city.

Thin picks just need a little more careful touch for rhythm but give a crisper attack.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I wouldn't say I've got a favourite pick. I don't really "like" any of them :) Wegen 3.5s are the only ones I don't dislike, though I still sometimes wish they were a bit less "clicky". For electric guitar, Dunlop 207 is what I'm used to, or for a bit brighter sound, or in Hawaiian bands, I've got a nice coconut one I made a while back.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Well talk about picking a pick…

What a difference that thing your holding in your hand can make.

I've read threads here and on other boards, tried all kind's of picks, and have made or refined some more to my liking. I've taken impressions from one and then taken two part dental mixes to reproduce the High Dollar picks. I also super glued David Grisman and Golden Gate picks together to get a THICKER PICK. If you pick up a nail file multi sided emory stick you can contour or bevel the pick edge to your liking.

I do love my Blue Chip TAD 80, At $50.00 I find myself in panic attack when it gets misplaced.

I sent Buco a pick to try that I just Love.
    It's a little larger then a Quarter, three sided.
    After playing Mandolin for years and using Grisman's and Golden Gates small pointy pick just don't cut it.
    It's Buffalo Horn and only .70 cents a pick.
    If you lose it big deal.
    I like to dress the bevel to my preference and sometimes drill a hole thru the center and contour a thumb impression on it…
    They really are the closest to the Blue Chip in sound I have found.

as @Buco said…
    Following @pickitjohn tip I ordered these
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/380909322686?nav=SEARCH
    and I'm very happy with them. I didn't think so at first but they may need some bevel work. Otherwise they are very consistently made, beautiful looking, quite and warm sounding but you can find sound variations on different tips. And I don't worry about losing them. As a matter of fact I give them away.

I'll post some pictures later today

pick on

pickitjohn
    :peace:
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    For my archtop, I really like the Dunlop 206, kind of the perfect median from the Jazz III shape and a more traditional looking pick. On the gypsy guitar, I've only tried the Wegen Gypsy Jazz, and I do like it. I will be trying the Vladimir Muzic Vladiator the next time I order strings.