DjangoBooks.com

Pickup options for low bridge/ small clearance guitars

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Thanks. I left my krivo behind at a gig l while back and looking to replace it with something. The krivo was okay, a little harsh, but I'd like to try something different. I know you have tried the all, so I'll give the Lace a try. I need a thin one on my guitar, but sounds like you like the Lace regardless of thickness.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @pauliusmm
    cheek your in box, I sent you some info…

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
    Paulius Volkovas
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4,741
    My guitar has about 9mm at the lowest point on high e at the very end of the fretboard. I use Krivo, two actually as a humbucker, and they are between 5-6 mm each. They sound slightly different so depending which one I wanna use closer to the fretboard, if it's the one that's closer to 6mm all around, I have to move it slightly towards the soundhole. Also I have to make sure to spread the putty very thinly so it adds as little as possible to the overall height.
    Otherwise if I use it too close to the fretboard, higher strings will hit the pickup once I'm high up the fretboard and picking agresively.
    So it seems like you need about 3mm for good clearance.
    Paulius Volkovas
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    I use this cable ( with its own volume knob) with the Lace sensor ultra slim. When the volume is turn
    halfway down it gives a "decent" rythmn sound.
    pickitjohn
    I'm very intrigued by this Lace pickup myself so if you @pauliusmm decide to go for it I'd like to hear if it worked for you.
    According to the website description it's closer to 7mm (6.985mm), so it would probably work if it's placed over the soundhole.
    I don't like placing the Krivo over the soundhole though. It greatly diminishes the acoustic sound, which obviously matters none to the audience but I hear it and it's all muffled and weakass sounding, just takes life out of it.
    That's the compromise you might have to make with the over the soundhole placement.
    Or of course you could always go towards the bridge but the sound will lose bass and emphasize mids and higs, which you could try to eq on the amp.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    i will let you know if i decide on the Lace, bacause im very curious about it too
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    The Krivo Nuevo is very slim and is quite gig friendly. Highly reccomended. It is set up for Argie Strings.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Peche a la Mouche is a good choice if you only got little space. Dunno much about Krivo.
    - JG
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    @Stringswinger
    Maybe you have some sound samples of Krivo Nuevo? Preferably di record, no mic so we could hear true pickup sound?
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I do not have any recorded samples. Both Michael and Krivo ( if you buy direct from him) have excellent return policies. Buy and try...

The Krivo Nuevo has a P-90 type sound, bright and full, it is an electric sound, but the only truly acoustic sounding way to amplify the Gypsy Jazz guitar is with a microphone, which is impractical for those of us who mostly gig in restaurants and bars.

The Krivo Nuevo is affordable, fits any Gypsy guitar, is balanced fir Argie strings and sounds as good as anything shy of a microphone.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass