DjangoBooks.com

What is the best Tablature creation software ?

Comments

• ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    edited July 2014 Posts: 170
    I use guitar pro for creating teaching tabs and for my own transcriptions. You can print, export in different formats, export as midi/audio, so it's good for making little backing tracks as well. You can also make multi-track/instrument arrangements in it as well which sound pretty good considering it's midi.

If you're looking at programs to make teaching resources, check out Neck Diagrams as well. Great for making chord diagrams, scale boxes, etc. Makes my handouts look pretty snazzy! Lol

Those two programs are my most used for teaching materials.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Guitar pro is an excellent program and what I use
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,161
    depends what you mean by "best" ;-) Sibelius and Finale offer you a lot of flexibility in notation that guitar pro can't beat, and they look way better... but for quick notation/teaching purposes, guitar pro is amazing. The latest version isn't as good/efficient as the previous one tohugh. It's unfortunate, they're trying hard to compete with Sibelius/Finale, and in doing so made the software slightly less intuitive and efficient but nonetheless still excellent, and super affordable...

otherwise some people use powertab which is free, and actually quite good

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    My main reason not to get sybellius is affordability. I would like ease of use, and I would prefer that it look pretty good. Does Powertab look better than guitar pro ?
  • Good luck with it. Hope you find a good affordable solution. It is pricy but there is a real reason for that. Sib 7 also has a less steep Learning curve than finale....but in the end they both do pretty much the same things.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    I've been using PowerTab Editor for almost a decade. It's probably the best, and a lot of instructional material provide files in it's format because PTEditor was and always is free..
    http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    You should have a look at Notion. It also has a cheaper version particularly for guitar - Progression, which is just the guitar bits of the full program. It has the advantage of iPad apps which integrate seamlessly with the desktop versions:

http://www.presonus.com/products/Notion-5
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Here's my take, both as a guitarist/transcriber and as a creator of music-notation software (Soundslice)...

Sibelius and Finale are the industry standard for standard notation. The notation quality is high, and they're very flexible. They can have steep learning curves, depending on what you're trying to do. If you buy a book of transcriptions from a publisher like Hal Leonard or Alfred, chances are the book was engraved using Sibelius or Finale. The main downside, as mentioned, is the price.

Guitar Pro is the easiest to use, when it comes to guitar tab. It makes data entry very quick and easy. Unfortunately, the notation it produces is ugly as sin. It also crashes for me every once in a while.

PowerTab is free but clunky. It also hasn't been updated in many years, so it's basically a dead project.

Soundslice makes beautiful *web-based* notation. There's a way to print, but the printing isn't particularly beautiful yet. We also don't have a way for you to create tab (aside from the legacy YouTube area of the site), though we will eventually.

If I were you, I'd try PowerTab first, because it's free, then Guitar Pro. And I'm looking forward to the day when Soundslice can meet your needs!

Adrian
    pickitjohnCraig Bumgarner
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Thank you all so MUCH !! I will be looking into powertab for the time being.