DjangoBooks.com

Gitane DG250M (Maple version) What are your opinions?

2»

Comments

• ViejoVatoViejoVato New
    I still can't get my thumb to wrap around my 250 for a proper GJ grip. I had a collins made for me and never thought about the neck but after i got it I realized that it was way too chunky; sold it and now michael is making me another ....
    i have never noticed any pain from the thin neck... and mine is opening up a bit.. i do love this little ax ... I call her 'chairman mao'

we're raffling off one of michael's new 'Favino' style guitars at DFSW this year ... put up a few sheckles and walk home with a great box .. details:
    www.dfsw.net

cheers,
    miller
    "I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way"
    my granny 'Meme' Foster circa 1998 at age 102
    Django Jerry Jam - home grown GJ & Dead Ahead pickin'
    http://www.DjangoJerryJam.com
  • soviosovio MaineNew
    I've been playing mine for 2 years and it hard to find fault for the money, however the fret work was terrible on mine and I had to have a through fret dressing to make it playable. The tuners are also in the drawer but other than that I've paid a lot more for guitars I like alot less. Harry
  • dwannabedwannabe Coupeville, WashingtonNew
    Sovio-

I've been playing my 250M for a little over a year and feel the need to dress some frets and get a new bridge. I was thinking of trying to tamp down my perceived high fret(s), around 12-14. Do you think that will do the job? did you tamp and file? Also, what did you do with your bridge? New one? What height?

John
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    for the bridge go here

http://djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1200

And I would say if you have not done fret work in the past do your research before hand. Don't just jump in and start filing and banging around. There is no reason why you can't do it and do a great job. Just get a book and go visit a good guitar luthier before you start. If you have a crap guitar you can work on first I would strongly suggest having a go on an instrument that is no worth much. Frets.com is a good resource.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • ViejoVatoViejoVato New
    just a short note ....
    my group 'poor django's almanac' got invited to play the Tucson Folk Fest which is an honor for us....

You can hear my D250 as the first solo on minor swing and Can't give you anything but love,,,, over at:
    www.dfsw.net/pja.htm

that's my wife the delightful mz debs singing ....

enjoy,
    milz y debs
    Rancho LocaRosa
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    All I'm getting for those sound files are those programming hieroglyphics that choke my machine and make me have to shut down.
  • just the bassplayerjust the bassplayer Huntington, NYNew
    Splendid rendition. Nice and slow. My own versions is frantic by comparision. I really like the tasteful vocals by what George Harrison would have called, "the talent".
    By the way, it worked just fine in MP3 on my Mac OS 10.4

Michael Hayes
  • ViejoVatoViejoVato New
    thanks for the kind words michael...

elliot - i just posted up the MP3 version ... try that and let me know if you have better luck..
    But .. back to the maple vs rosewood question, the maple's i've heard were a bit brighter than the rosewood at about the same volumn...
    That being said I think the quality of my tone (not the competence) on 'can't give you anything but love' is equal to many of the $2500 DellArtes Ive played...

I'm also getting a Collins made that will arrive here with Michael for Django Fest this year ...
    C'mon out all for spirited music and friendship ...
    www.dfsw.net ...

milz y debs
    Rancho locaRosa
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Got them, thanks. I kinda like the out-of-tunedness. It gives it sort of a "Gypsy Jug Band" quality!