DjangoBooks.com

guitars and airlines

13»

Comments

• edited October 2014 Posts: 3,707
    It was Sun Country Airlines.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    When travelling from Paris to New York with Air France KLM, I had two flights. The one with a small plane and the other one with a bigger one (transatlantic).
    In the first one, my guitar was stored in the crew closet, just behind the pilot (but the other solution would have been to give the guitar to a flight attendant when going in the plane and she would have put it in a special luggage area not the same as for the checked baggages and the guitar would have been given to me when leaving the plane, it means No handling by unknown people).
    In the second flight, the plane was equipped with closets for large objects. And the guitar fits in.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I was thinking of private insurance.
    I was just going back over this thread and realized that I quoted the wrong post - the quote was meant to be in reference to Stuart's comment about buying a seat for the guitar. I don't think the airlines allow this anymore.

I've taken out an insurance policy on my guitars with MusicProinsurance. Fortunately have not had to make a claim, but they seem very professional and responsive, and the cost is reasonable for all-inclusive insurance. It's less expensive than the special rider I used to have on my homeowner's insurance, which didn't provide the same coverage.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    I used to use a Case Extreme Clam, which fits over your normal case, even a gig bag, and then just checked it. 10 years of flying 6-10 times a year, with no issues of damage. I almost always just put my Eastman in a well padded Levy's gig bag in there, and it was fine. The problem was that it would't fit in the truck of a sedan, so I always had to make sure they sent a mini van or suv for us at the airport. Also, I'd get hit with oversize fees every once in a while.

When I got my '37 ES-150, I flew it twice in the modern hardshell it came in, inside the clam. However, I noticed just how ill-fitting the modern case was, and I felt the guitar was moving around way too much in there, so I decided it was time to spend the money on a proper flight case.

However, I just bought that guitar and wasn't gonna have an extra $1000 any time soon to spend on a Hoffee/Calton/Karura, etc.

Randomly checking on Craigslist I found a brand new ~$250 Hiscox (which I guess is a Pro II) at a pawnshop for $150. I figured I'd take a chance on it. There was 1-2" of extra room at the endpin area, so Hiscox sent me two removable pads to put on either side of the end pin, and that works.

I've flown with it 6 times (one of which was with my Eastman instead of the ES-150), and every time it has fit in the overhead or in the closet. I made every reasonable attempt to get priority boarding (which helps), but I was often told by the gate agent that I would have to gate check it. I would just take of the tag on the jetway, and walk it on.

I must say, our band just decided to start trying to use Delta whenever possible, and they were consistently nicer about it than United/US Air. The flight attendants' attitudes where more "sure, let's see where we can put that for you" versus "I don't think there's going to be room".

If I had to gate check the Hiscox, I think I wouldn't fret if the pick up was going to be on the jetway on arrival (like it often is for strollers, car seats). However, I think I'd probably be worried (perhaps not rationally) about it arriving in baggage claim. That said I've seen pictures of what baggage claims can do to a Hiscox, and despite how mangled they were, the guitar survived, so it would probably fine (I'd just be worried).

I'll get a Hoffee just as soon as I can afford one, but in the meantime, +1 for musicpro insurance. The <$200 a year I spend that covers ALL of my instruments and equipment, including my EH-185 (have you seen what those go for now?!), and my 1941 Leedy Drum Set. I haven't had to file a claim, but it does take some of the stress out of flying.
  • I beleive Ryan Air are still fine with buying a seat for an instrument.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed