DjangoBooks.com

Donna Lee - the chords

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Oops. Here's the video:

NonehusyJim KaznoskyT1mothyMattHenry
  • These are the chord forms I see Benoit used. I did it awhile ago by ear and never wrote it down, but these should be all of the chords you will need. Mind you, I am assuming you have the chart for the tune. I did not write down every single chord in order...I noted when to use a chord form. At this point, you should take the video to a slow downer. Hope this helps.

• T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
    Wow, that is some unexpectedly detailed help.
    Bopster, thanks for the great video! Stuart, thanks for the different voicing tip and Jim, thank you for sharing the charts with me.
    I want to thank all of you for taking your time to help a newbie!
    Timothy
  • Not sure if my chord names are correct, but you are welcome. It was a very clear video.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Gypsy Jazz Play Along - Chord changes to Donna Lee
    Gonzalo Bergara
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 3,319
    I think it is essentially the same form as Back Home in Indiana? That's one of the tricks that beboppers (and others) used- take a harmonic structure from another song and put a new melody on top of it.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Donna Lee is based on that tunes @Bones..... according to Mark Levine...author of the Jazz Theory Book.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Yup, same chords as "Indiana" except transposed from F to Ab.

There's an old joke about two jazz musicians sitting in a diner, reading a newspaper.

"Hmmm, look at this headline: 'Three die in Indiana bridge disaster'"

"No way! Indiana doesn't have a bridge!"
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Great one Lango-Django!
  • Lays out a little better on alto in Ab. Lowest note on the horn is the 5 of the tonic. That and its a really cool sounding key are my guess as to the reasons bird chose Ab
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed