DjangoBooks.com

Anybody out there gigging with a non-traditional Gypsy Guitar playing a lot of Django or GJ?

jazzygtrjazzygtr Stillwater, MN✭✭ Gibson J-35
in Welcome Posts: 80
Very curious: Is there anybody here gigging with a non-traditional Gypsy Guitar and still playing a lot of Django or Gypsy Jazz in their set (solo or in a group)?

The more I get into play this style of music the more I feel that I will be playing it for a very long time to come, and so I would REALLY like to buy a NICE gypsy jazz guitar rather than just a "settle-for". And to do that I may have to wait another year or more before I could really afford something I'd be happy with.

My primary guitar right now is my Gibson J-35 and I typically am playing through a Roland AC33RW (usually will mic the amp or run the line out to the house and just use the amp as my on stage monitor).

I would love to hear that some here have been enjoying some GJ and Django in their sets regardless of what guitars their playing. Any stories or setup and set list details would be awesome to hear :)

Thanks!

Comments

• I would suggest looking for youtube videos of Ninine Garcia. Here's a good one:
    Vinny Raniolo, who used to do rhythm for Frank Vignola played a flatop with a cutout. I watched them at CAAS (Chat Atkins Appreciation Society) gathering in Nashville. Now Frank isn't strictly a gypsy jazz type of musician but there you go FWIW.
    Just earlier I realized that he's Rhythm Future regular rhythm guy and on their website he's pictured with an archtop.
    I played a Martin for my first 3-4 years doing GJ and you get by but the day when I got my GJ guitar couldn't come fast enough. I was as happy as a kid on the potty when the day finally arrived.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel