DjangoBooks.com

Restringing technique?

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Remove and replace 1 string at a time !
    Then no worries about the bridge and it saves the neck and top a readjustment period.
    Its best to keep tension on the guitar as much as possible. :D
  • I go over the top and around a full turn pull it up so the slack is about out, down through the hole come back the other way, two wraps around the string, pull back towards the head and tighten. Quick easy and ad Al says one at a time.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    pickitjohn that explanation is pretty much the same as barault's method. the only thing to add is that he passes on one side of the string for EBG, and passes on the other side for DAE
    pickitjohn
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @WimGlenn
    Thanks that makes sense, I'll give it a try.

pick on

pckitjohn
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited November 2015 Posts: 706
    I'm getting ready to restring and looking for a faster, easier method. I found the Barault video on Facebook but couldn't download it. Here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/barault.jean/videos/10204123820712856/
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Barault video attached, I hope.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,817
    I've been doing this way of restringing since this thread and it's great. Fast to put on a new string and to remove the old one as well, I just loosen up the string and cut it towards the headstock, unwind, done.

They stay in tune better than before too.

Who knew putting the strings on a guitar could be so drastically different and better!?
    wim
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • tarantogatarantoga

The same method. Watch from 5:30.
  • Almost hard to believe that strings stay put! I'm going for it tho!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,252
    That stringing technique works brilliantly, with one caveat:

When you cinch strings like this, you don't have quite as much slack in the string when you loosen it, so it is more difficult to do the "Argie-Twist(tm)" (lol) trick to give old strings a little extra life. Or to get extra slack for whatever reason - setup work - clean the fretboard - whatever.

I usually only do the locking technique on the treble strings G/B/E, because the Argie-twist trick doesn't do anything for the plain B & E treble strings, and because I don't attempt to do the twist trick on the wrapped Argie G strings because generally if an Argie G string is dead sounding, it's about to break and so best to replace it before starting a set.

But this locking technique works fantastic for keeping the treble strings from slipping, and IMHO, they're the ones that tend to slip most anyway.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.