DjangoBooks.com

Django, Baro, and Gangsters

Comments

• edited February 2015 Posts: 3,707
    While I have not read and researched nearly extensively as Teddy and some of the other experts here, I am of the belief that Django, while not a full blown "idiot/savant" was certainly afflicted with some behavioural issues that probably came in part with the intense connection with music.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    A final issue I would like to resolve is whether it is Baro coughing at 0.47 on "Body and Soul"?

• A GentA Gent ✭✭
    A final issue I would like to resolve is whether it is Baro coughing at 0.47 on "Body and Soul"?

I almost posted this in the thread about Django's tobacco consumption. I'm convinced it's Django because he breaks off and comes back in straight afterwards. And he probably wouldn't have tolerated a cough from anyone else anyway.

I just wish I knew what cough syrup or lozenges he used.

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Every time I play "Body & Soul" I cough there.

Thought it was part of the Song
    Teddy DupontBucoA GentDaveyc
    Well we know for certain it was not Baro who belched at 2.05 here:-

A Gent
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I just finished reading this fascinating article about Django and Baro. Does anyone know if there are any existing recordings by Poulette Castro or Gusti Malha?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Here is one of the 8 sides the Quatour des Plectres (Poulette and Laro Castro, Serrani and Coco Garcia) recorded with Rosita Barrios, an Argentine singer. All are similar to this one, and I do not have any of the song titles. There is also a very rare recording called Valse Poulette which I have but can't find right now. These are interesting but don't really have anything to do with what we call gypsy jazz. In fact, to me they sound like early Dave Apollon with the Filipino Boyfriends - the musical thinking is almost exactly the same. There are many awesome videos of this great artist on youtube, like this one: Anyway, as I know I have gone on about before, the gitane guitarists in Paris tended to be all purpose musicians. Poulette also worked as a pit musician. There actually are some recordings by Gusti, too, but these seem to be the Holy Grail of this music and cannot be obtained anywhere - at least not by me. There are photographs of the Castros here and there on the 'net
    Here is Gusti Malha with Sarane Ferret & Co from the early 1930's but it doesn't tell you much about his playing.
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Here are some photos of singer Rosita Barrios

Best

François
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    And here a rare photo of the Garcia Quatuor.

As you can see they even toured to London.

Best

François