DjangoBooks.com

Interview with Sébastien Giniaux

2»

Comments

• Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    Great interview, thanks Mitch. Is this gonna be regular like a series interviewing all of the Paris based players to compare their philosophies on playing, practicing etc...That would be cool!! Thanks again.
    wim
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Thanks Micky, hopefully there'll be more interviews but I can't tell yet if it will be regular or not.
    Thanks everyone for appreciating, Sébastien deserves it!
    Micky Dunne
  • a_onarheima_onarheim Stavanger, Norway✭✭ Gitane DG-255, Godin Session Custom TP
    What a fantastic player! <3 Thanks a bunch for this!
  • djondjon Branford CT Gitane D500
    Just found this interview. Great! Thanks for posting it. Stoked to listen to and learn from him at Django in June, 2016.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
    Great interview and post. I had the pleasure of meeting Sebastien while he was on a break at L'Atelier Charonne in Paris. He was playing a 335 style (Aria?) with a trio and just killing it. I have some on video. He is a warm and genuine musician. Look forward to seeing him again next year.
  • I had the pleasure of doing a course with him at DFNW either 2010 or 11. Such a lovely eclectic musical mind.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500

Great interview! I have a question. Does he have any gypsy jazz albums out? I have the one he has out on band camp and there's the African variations album but I can't find a gypsy jazz one? Maybe (if there is one) it's only available in France?

• JojoJojo London UK

Not sure about his own albums but his playing is featured on the Selmer#607 albums

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

Most likely he doesnt consider himself a gypsy jazz guitarist: he is an artist with Django being one of his influences. He had sent me his discography a few months or so ago and from the start he was collaborating with a variety of musicians in different styles. You can always hear his color, his personnality but it is not only gypsy jazz.

The current projects he is involved in, based on his fb feed are concerts in duo with Paloma Pradal, the disc with Cherif Soumano, concerts and disc with Mathias Levy and Jean Philippe Viret, a few concerts with his balkan electric project and a job that is over for some time now but finally to be released, arrangements for the disc of Norig.

The closest thing to gypsy jazz would be the disc of Matthias Levy but it is more jazz than gypsy jazz