DjangoBooks.com

Views on Gypsy Jazz School with Yaakov Hoter?

2»

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I take it you know about the Malt Shovel gypsy jazz gig gig - every second Tuesday I believe. Also there are a few people and groups on facebook which may help you connect with people.
    always learning
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Yes, thanks.
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    I bought a bunch of lessons (nearly all) from yaakov and they were all worth it. By the way rob, you mentioned making a mistake with the minor swing lesson? You can contact yaakov about it and explain your side. He's very accommodating. I made a mistake too purchasing the ballad package, but without prior knowledge of anything gypsy found it useless to me. When I mentioned this to yaakov, he understood my plight so gave me free credits to use on any of his lessons :) as for the ballads package, I got to keep it and later, finally understood it. you also get points for each purchase that you can use to discount future purchases, or even buy whole lessons using the points.

I also have denis' dvd 's as well as a couple of lessons from DC-music school. There are free lessons there too that you might want to get.

Both are invaluable resources for the beginner :) I started out just over a year ago and I still haven't mastered all the lessons and concepts from those!
    Rob MacKillop
    Thanks, Franz. That helps a lot.
  • andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
    Yaakov probably has the best recorded gypsy lessons out there, i've pretty much picked them all up from the various people I think over the years...some are good, some are overpriced, some are great, but Yaakov's shine brightest to me.

The material is clearly and very well presented, the production is relatively good and gets better as the lessons/time progresses. Try 1 or 2 and you will see, he is an excellent instructor.
    I have done, and he is very good. But, to be honest, I usually "get" his lesson by reading the pdf. He sometimes takes a LONG time going through a run one note at a time. But I still watch the whole video, just in case there is a nugget of information which will help me...and sometimes there is. But the pdfs are wonderful.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Haha. I think you might be right, Dennis!