DjangoBooks.com

Where to start in Gypsy Jazz guitar style?

13»

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited January 2015 Posts: 936
    Here's one of my favorite Video's that may help it was shot at Django in June 2012.
    AE Video: Finding the Elusive Gyspy Swing Rhythm!

The included participants are: Adrian Holovaty, Denis Chang, Jeff Radaich, Gonzalo Bergara, Olli Soikkeli, and Sebastien Boyer.

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/11688/ae-video-finding-the-elusive-gyspy-swing-rhythm#latest

:peace:
    jwpfeifer
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    edited January 2015 Posts: 85
    Hey Nathan! Franz here, from the Philippines too. I was in the same boat a little over a year ago, and I've learned a lot from the great guys in this forum. I know what you mean about GJ being dead here, which is why me and other like-minded local gypsy players (which total around 5 or 6? haha) get together regularly to jam, exchange ideas, teach and learn from each other, etc.

Three of the guys are college students too btw :)

The guys who've replied to your thread are all awesome guys who've helped me (and countless others), and all their advice is sound. However, you will find that the best way to learn is to play with others. Join us sometime! I promise you'll learn a lot :) I've scores of material you can use, and you're more than welcome borrow them. We've just "recruited" two more players who are just starting out as well.

We've started a Facebook page btw, where we share videos, organize jams, etc. You are welcome to join of course.

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1446021252294410/

A couple of our FB admins are pretty well-known players here, Emmett Mahoney (who's been a huge help and fully supports us!) and Duane Padilla, an awesome pinoy GJ fiddler based in Hawaii too. You can ask them questions too if you need "master advice." :D

You can PM me or add me in FB, and join our group if you need help bro :)

BucoRob MacKillop
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    edited January 2015 Posts: 85
    To help you get started, here's what I did... I immersed myself in the music. I literally stopped listening to other genres so that I can have a feel for the language.

Gypsy picking is important. It's hard at first, but after a few weeks, you'll get used to it. I played professionally for nearly a decade, and I thought alternate picking was too firmly ingrained in my system, but after two weeks of gypsy picking, it's all I do now.

It's La Pompe that will infuriate you haha.

Pick one song (I suggest Minor Swing first), and master it. In the year and a half I've been playing, I only know 3-4 songs by heart. I personally try to master a song, its changes, melody, etc before I move on to the next. Helps reduce clutter :D This year though, I plan to learn one song a month.

Divide your practice time. Half on rhythm and chords, half on arpeggios and gypsy picking (improv will come later. When it's time, it will just click. Promise!).

Buco
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited January 2015 Posts: 541
    @Nathan Sist - most GJ guitars have a nut width between 44-45 mm; I've seen some listed as low as 43 mm and as high as 51 mm. I think most classical guitars are about 50-52mm, with a flat fingerboard. GJ guitars' fingerboards are slightly curved, less than most flat top acoustics, and much less than electric guitars.

http://www.vbguitar.com/reference-neck-width-for-acoustic-guitars/
    Nathan Sist
  • @Franz Nice to hear from you sir, I'll PM you right away. :D
  • teletoddteletodd Strongsville Ohio Huttle jazz
    edited January 2015 Posts: 27
    Re: Neck Width; I play a Cordoba Gitano D which has a 2" nut. Most other gj guitars Ive tried have 1-3/4 nut. I think the original Selmers were somewhere in between.